Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
buk3ta
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jufri Juhan

SQL VSS Writer is missing: databases will be backed up in crash-consistent state

Post by buk3ta » 1 person likes this post

Hi guys,

I'm currently facing this warning message with one of my backup job. Did my research and found out that this issue can be solved by running SQL Server VSS Writer as Domain Admin not the Local System account.

Kindly share your experience and thought about this.

Thanks guys!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SQL VSS Writer is missing: databases will be backed up in crash-consistent state

Post by PetrM »

Hi Jufri!

Yes, it makes sense to test the solution mentioned above.
Crash-consistent backup does not preserve data integrity of open files of transactional applications and may result in data loss.

By the way, you may take a look at this article as well.

Thanks!
buk3ta
Influencer

Re: SQL VSS Writer is missing: databases will be backed up in crash-consistent state

Post by buk3ta »

Hi Petr,

Thank you for sharing with me your thoughts.

Tried this method and it seems like unable to resolve this issue. The warning message is still there.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Jufri,

In this situation, the best way to proceed is to raise a support case. Please let us know your case ID once you have it.

Thanks in advance,
Fedor
buk3ta
Influencer

Post by buk3ta » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fedor,

I have raised a support case for this matter (03858842). Will continue from there and share here the findings.

Regards,
Jufri
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

Any update on this issue? Seems to be a lot of people running into this issue from time to time, so solutions online would be GREATLY appreciated.
g-rant001
Influencer

Post by g-rant001 »

I wanted to give my update. sometimes I have found that the user has to have proper privileges. Either local admin or a Domain admin. The other thing is to make sure the service is started!

All i did was start the service and rerun the backup! I know, seriously.....
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It's an interesting observation, if you notice it again in future, please let our support engineers to work on it and share a support case ID with us. It does not seem to be the expected behavior.

Thanks!