Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

VeeamFCT.sys

Post by nmdange »

I recently had a BSOD on one of our WS2016 servers and as part of the memory dump analysis, Microsoft Support noted that we have a 3rd party driver named VeeamFCT.sys running. Is this the legacy CBT driver that was for Hyper-V 2012 R2 and earlier that isn't used when using Resilient Change Tracking? If so, is it possible/safe to disable or remove the driver from our servers, assuming all of our VMs are using RCT?

While I don't think the driver was the cause of the issue, we just want to rule it out.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VeeamFCT.sys

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I would not remove VeeamFCT.sys as it is a certified driver https://www.windowsservercatalog.com/it ... CatID=1282

We would not certify it, if we would not need it.

Best regards,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Actually, VeeamFCT.sys is not just "legacy CBT driver that was for Hyper-V 2012 R2 and earlier", it also enables things like file-level recovery.

Please open a support case with Veeam and submit the same memory dump to confirm the reason for crash was actually our driver - or if Microsoft Support just does not like to see 3rd party drivers in their crash dumps ;)

Thanks!
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Post by nmdange » 2 people like this post

Thanks Gostev, since it's actually still needed I'll just leave it as is. Microsoft didn't point to the driver as the issue, they just noted it was installed. The driver that caused the dump was svhdxflt.sys, which hit a hardcoded breakpoint when it encountered corrupted data. Right now it's pointing to a storage issue, so I think Veeam is safe ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Ahha, just as I thought :D thanks for the follow up!