Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Valle1975
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Valerio

Veeam Replication: how power on Replica with same vm working in production?

Post by Valle1975 »

Good morning, first of all sorry for my bad english,
I've finished to upgrade my Vmware infrastructure (n.2 Host Vmware 6.5 in HA with Veeam B&R 9.5 update 3), adding the 3th host with indipendent storage only for Veeam Replication of all VM. All working well.
I need to start one VM Replica for check a situation in our ERP (a particular schedule situation, that right now will be unsorted "abnormally", and I need to check it for recovery the right order manually).
The Problem for me is that I need to continue to work normally with the same VM in Production during the VM_replica power-on; so I need to start VM replica just for check a situation in ERP, that I can't solve downloading single file or DB from the replica with Veeam.
This VM (Windows Server 2008 R2) contain only the ERP software and are stand-alone ( no AD).
I don't know how can I do it... can you please help me, using Veeam e/o Vmware ?
Another question is: if I create a new file in this VM_replica (for example a .csv export), is it possible to copy/restore outside of this VM_replica ?
Thanks a lot to everyone.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam Replication: how power on Replica with same vm working in production?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Valerio.

- create a new, isolated, Virtual Network on your replica target ESXi host
- use Replica Mapping option in Veeam's Replication Job to map replica VMs to said network
- Run Replication job once, to transfer new network config to target VM
- Run Failover. That will launch Replica VM, connected to isolated network - safe and secure, with no communication with production networks.
- Do your tests with said machine, generate csv reports or whatever else is needed. You can export data from it either manually(download from vsphere client), or via side servers(like NAS connected to same isolated network interface?)
- When done, click Undo Failover. That will turn all changes done on Replica VM into ashes and it will continue normal replication cycles.

Hope that helps!