Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
BigKetchup
Novice
Liked: never

Getting both Success and Failure notifications

Post by BigKetchup »

I have both Veeam Free and iBackup for cloud backups but I am getting both failure and success on every daily report. I tried uninstalled the Veeam software, reinstalling, updating, setting it to not work while iBackup is working (and vice versa) and it still randomly happens. Sometimes I only get a successful report but others it says both failed and success.

The error I'm consistently getting is "Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data."

I did try opening a support ID and they gave me case #03773370. They said they couldn't reach out and to come to this forum to discuss it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Getting both Success and Failure notifications

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Oriel.

It looks like something is screwing Microsoft VSS on your machine.
- go CMD and see if VSS writers are in OK state: vssadmin list writers. If some are in a failed status, easiest way is to reboot the server and check again.
- check if VSS snapshots are working at all. Here is KB how to manually test VSS.
- also worth checking Windows Event log, it will clearly show the error why VSS failed when Veeam requested it.

Hope that helps!