Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cbb2019
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian

Backup Job Incremental and Archiving how to?

Post by cbb2019 »

Hi,
im quite new to Veeam. Already installed Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 4 and doing some tests since a few days. I'm wondering how to do the following:

At the moment I let run every 2 Hours reverse incremental backup job for my VM's with 12 Restore Points. So that i can jump to some point from yesterday. (everything okay here).

I want to have Full Backups of my VMs every Night to be stored for 1 Year.

Can i do this in just one task or do i have to create an incremental job (the one above) and also a full backup job? i dont want to let veeam delete my full backups...can i just put 365 Restore Points in my full backup job? or do i have to use the Copy Backup Job Method? i really dont get it...

i read alot in veeam forum and on the website but i really really dont get it :D - Acronis was much easier to use haha.

--- I just want every 2 hours incremental reverse and also full backups every night to be stored on my nas for 1 year as archive. maybe someone can help me with this :) if not its still okay...i will test it until i get there but i really dont know why this b&r is so confusing. or im just too stupid.

best regards
Christian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Job Incremental and Archiving how to?

Post by foggy »

Hi Christian, currently you can schedule active full for every day of the week in the same job - this way the very first job run on every day will be a full backup, all subsequent runs during the day will be incremental. However, you may not be able to reach a whole year of retention since the max number of restore points is limited by 999 I believe. Besides, with this approach, you will keep all the incrementals in-between, which will take space. So for your particular use case, a more vital approach would be to have a separate job for daily fulls with 365 points retention. Another option is to use a daily backup copy job to some other location, which will allow you to have a forever incremental chain for the entire year. v10 will have built-in GFS retention in regular backup jobs though.
cbb2019
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian

Re: Backup Job Incremental and Archiving how to?

Post by cbb2019 »

@foggy - thank you very much :) that helped me alot.