Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mwant
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: m want

GFS sets on Primary and copy

Post by mwant »

I am about to deploy 2 new repositories and want to create the following configuration...

Main site - Primary backup with GFS set
DR site - Identical set of backups and also replicas created from these copies (currently at main site ready to be pre-populated before moving)

From what I can find current functionality doesn't support this setup but v10 will.

My question is can I set up a compromise solution (maybe just GFS set at DR) and then transition easily after the v10 upgrade or am I better waiting? I don't want to populate the DR site repo, move it then find I have to start from scratch.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: GFS sets on Primary and copy

Post by PetrM »

Hello!

Difficult to say what's better without precise requirements, amount of data you're going to store, number of restore points, available free space on DR site.
I would say that you can use temporarily GFS on DR as long as there is enough free space for GFS points and make a transition once you're ready for upgrade.

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Note that new Backup Copy Job mirror mode in v10 will be able to seed only from existing Backup Copy Job mirror mode backup chain.
So your BCJ with GFS that you might use now could not be used to seed a new type of copy job.
You will have to run from the scratch and\or create a new local seed with new copy job after v10 release, xfer it offsite and seed it.
Thanks!
mwant
Enthusiast

Post by mwant »

Thanks for the replies. Seems like I will have to wait for v10. It's about 10TB's so not a trivial amount for me to have to recopy over to my DR if I have to redo it.
mwant
Enthusiast

Post by mwant »

I see availability suite has a release date of 18th Feb, does this mean that B&R v10 will be released on that date or am I mistaken?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

According to the plan, it should happen on that day, stay tuned! ;)