Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Yega
Novice
Liked: never

Case # 03865302 - Restore doesn't work anymore - No backup files found - Unsupported VBM format

Post by Yega »

Hi there,

just filed my first case support after using veeam for a while.

My problem is that restores don't work anymore:
- doubleclick on the pillar screen -> restore files or volume: "backup not found" // my backups are marked as successful. Backup files destination are unchanged
- backup job -> restore file -> no backup files found -> browse -> choose backup.vbm -> "unsupported VBM format"
- doubleclick on backup.vbm -> "unsupported VBM format"

Veeam Version is: Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 3.0.2.1170 - Free Edition
All backups were successfull. The backup job is volume level backup from HDD1 (operating system) to HDD2. My last successful restore must've been ~1,5months ago.

I'd appreciate any help!

Regards
Carsten Jäger
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Case # 03865302 - Restore doesn't work anymore - No backup files found - Unsupported VBM format

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Yega,

Thank you for your post. Asked support team to review the case details, stay tuned!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Case # 03865302 - Restore doesn't work anymore - No backup files found - Unsupported VBM format

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Yega.

As a last resort, after getting support reply, you can also go with Import agent backup to Veeam Backup and Replication server and restore using VBR Console instead - that procedure works without .vbm but has a limitation(works only with full VBK backups, increments will be skipped).

Hope that helps!
Yega
Novice

Post by Yega »

Too bad, I need to restore from an increment.

Let's hope for support. :-)
kweku68
Lurker
Full Name: Stefan Geißler

Post by kweku68 »

I had a problem similar to yours. The 2 backup files vbk and vbn were created on the target volume. But the backup process always seemed to have stopped after a short time, because there was not enough space left allegedly. Also the Volume Level Restore did not detect a backup, even though the 2 files were there.
By chance, I came to the conclusion that it could be due to different file systems of source and target volumes. My source volume drive C: / is formatted with NTFS. The target volume, an external hard disk, has been formatted with FAT 32. After I have formatted the target volume in the NTFS file system, it also looks quite as if I could now create a valid backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Stefan,

Thank you for your post. The difference between source and target should not be the case. Looks like your issue was specifically related to FAT32 (as it cannot handle the size of the file larger than 4GB). Cheers!
Yega
Novice

Post by Yega »

A small update:
As for now I had short contact with two persons from support. First one asked for my .VBN file and second to upload the whole folder of "C:\Programdata\Veeam\Endpoint".

At the moment I'm waiting for a follow up on both.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Update on the case for those tracking that thread, it seems like re-creation of backup job mapping to existing backup chain has fixed the problem.
/Cheers!