Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Goldi2005
Lurker
Liked: never

Daily Full Backup to Tape - simple Backup Strategy

Post by Goldi2005 »

Hello,

we are using an LTO-Drive connected to a single fileserver and want to achieve the following (simple) backup-strategy:

Every weekday (Monday to Friday) we want to create a *fullbackup* of all files (no VMs!) on the fileserver to a daily tape, marked (with a pen) as "Monday, Tuesday" etc.
The tape is changed every weekday in the late afternoon.

At Saturday the Friday-Tape is *not changed*, so at Saturday and Sunday the Friday-Tape should be overwritten with fullbackups at the weekend.
The next Monday the Monday-Tape from the previous week ist used and should be overwritten completely with a fullbackup - without any interaction.

At the end of the month we want to insert a tape marked (with a pen) "November", "December" etc.and create a fullbackup on this tape - without any interaction.

I think this is a really simple backup-strategy - every tape inserted in our LTO-drive gets overwritten with a fullbackup in the night.
If it´s possible we don´t want to manually inventory the tapes - every tape inserted should be overwritten with a fullbackup automatically.

But how do I achieve this with Veeam?

Regards,

Joerg
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Daily Full Backup to Tape - simple Backup Strategy

Post by soncscy »

Hi Joerg,

Do I get it right you have a changer or you will be inserting tapes manually?

If you're just inserting tapes manually, you should be fine just using File to Tape and setting __only__ the full schedule on the File to Tape job Settings and just mark Fulls every day, ensure your media pool makes a new mediaset each day.

If you have a Changer and will just be keeping the tapes in-slot, Veeam doesn't really do "This Tape this Day" directly like you probably want, but I had a client that wanted a scheme like this and we did it this way:

1. Create 6 Mediapools, one for each weekday, and one Friday+Weekends
2. Make the Media Pool Mediaset creation "Always Create"*
2.1. For Friday's tape, just set it to make a new Mediaset on Fridays (Daily, only select Friday): https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
3. Assign __only__ your preferred tape to each media pool.
4. Keep the same Tape Full Schedule

That should do it as best I know :)
Goldi2005
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Goldi2005 »

Hi Soncscy,

we want to insert tapes manually.

But when we now insert the types manually, at next Backup schedule we get the Message "TapeDrive alert: The operation has failed because the tape cartridge was manually de-mounted while the tape drive was actively writing or reading.. Job has been terminated Error: Critical tape drive alert Error: Critical tape drive alert". But the last backup-job was terminated at 03:00 A.M. and we changed the tape at 11:00 A.M. - so normally there should not be any activity on the tape drive.

Is the a solution for this issue?

Regards,

Joerg
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Not immediately familiar to me :) Sounds like maybe a support case is required, but the alert sounds like a drive alert, not from Veeam.

I'd open a case, but personally it sounds like __some__ tape operation was running and maybe it just wasn't realized when you and/or your colleagues exchanged the tape.