Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zach123
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: zaki khan

kb3039 : Are we impacted

Post by Zach123 »

Hi Team

This is in reference to the Veeam article.
https://www.veeam.com/kb3039

We are running Veeam version 9.5 update 4b. Our primary backup goes to SOBR ( with just one extent) and then copied to the cloud connect repository via copy job. Cloud vendor has confirmed that they do not have SOBR setup at there end.

Recently we manually exported backups from VCC repository and saved it on the same repository with an year retention. Then we deleted the exported backup within a week from the files section in Veeam console.

Just wanted to confirm

a) Are we still impacted even when the VCC repository from which backup was exported and saved to is not configured as SOBR.
b) If we are impacted, do we still need to install the fix or an upgrade to V10 ( I hope it's released before my exported backup would have expired if not manually deleted, i.e 1 year. ) will include that fix.

Of course, we do not want our data to just vanish after a year.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: kb3039 : Are we impacted

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as far as I understood, you did exactly this:
1. You're using a scale-out backup repository (SOBR).
2. You created at least one backup using Export Backup functionality with the automated retention setting enabled (non-default setting).
3. You deleted the exported backup file manually prior to its retention policy expiration.
The recommendation is to install the patch.

Best regards,
Hannes
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Whether you're impacted also depends on the backup repository type used for your only SOBR extent.
Zach123
Enthusiast

Post by Zach123 »

We are using SOBR on our primary backup repository. We are NOT using SOBR on our secondary VCC repository from where we exported and deleted the backups.

Do, I still need to install the hotfix. If yes, whether it needs to be installed on local Veeam server as well as on the Veeam server our cloud connect vendor is using.

Our local SOBR has just one extent which is a Windows repository using local Refs disk.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Zach123 wrote: Nov 17, 2019 7:49 pmOur local SOBR has just one extent which is a Windows repository
Then you don't have to install the hot fix (see the red note in the KB article as to why your SOBR is not impacted).
Zach123
Enthusiast

Post by Zach123 »

Thanks for the clarification.