Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Zach123
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: zaki khan

Clear deleted restore points from Configuration database for VCC repository

Post by Zach123 »

Hi Team

We are running Veeam version 9.5 update 4b. Our primary backups are going to the local disk before it gets duplicated to the cloud connect repository.

Over time we have deleted multiple backup files from the File section residing on the Veeam cloud connect repository. We ensured that we are either deleted the whole backup chain or recent incremental on which no other backup depends on. After that, we rescanned the backup repository to ensure that the space freed up is reflected in the Veeam console which it does.

The issue is unlike the normal backup repository, we do not have option to remove or forget the missing restore points. This leads us to a situation where we can see the restore point when browsed from veeam console, but when trying to restore, it says " file does not exist" which is true.

So my query is how can we remove missing restore points from the cloud connect repository. Is that something that needs to be done by VCC vendor from there side.

I had a look at the Veeam cloud connect guide, and it does not talk about the option of forgetting or removing individual restore points.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Clear deleted restore points from Configuration database for VCC repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
although we made the file names human readable, it is not recommended to manually delete them. I can created issues with the configuration database.

Please contact support for help and post the case number for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So my query is how can we remove missing restore points from the cloud connect repository.
In case of Cloud Connect you need to ask support team to modify product database to reflect manual changes.

So, it's not recommended to remove manually restore points stored in cloud repositories - lowering retention policy is a way to go.

Thanks!
Zach123
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: zaki khan

Post by Zach123 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have worked with multiple Veeam support engineer who tends to delete the files manually, rescan the repo and remove missing restore points from config database. The most recent case being the one I worked with support last week. In few cases that's the only feasible option to do. For eg, when you need to delete the recent backup in the long backup chain.

Anyways, I have opened a support case for the above issue ( 03867659 ) and waiting for Veeam's support to respond. Veeam database has been uploaded as well.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I have worked with multiple Veeam support engineer who tends to delete the files manually, rescan the repo and remove missing restore points from config database.
Might be helpful sometimes, indeed, but in case of Cloud Connect and its specific logic of storing backup records in configuration database, it's better to avoid manual backup deletion. Unless the process is overviewed by support engineer.

Good to know you have already opened a support ticket and let support team to take over this case.

Thanks!