Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Pete
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Gutbrod

Best practice for single host monitoring

Post by Pete »

I have only a single, remote host running free ESXi. Thus Veeam Monitor has to monitor the host 24/7 otherwise it gets only the last hour of data (and obviously cannot send any alarms via email).

Is there a lightweight VM appliance, that can run on the same host to collect the data, preferable based on Linux? Or do I have to install a full blown Windows VM on the host or have a local Windows machine running 24/7, just to collect the data for Veam Monitor, which sound a bit like overkill?

In that case, what is the smallest, least resources demanding Windows installation, that is required to run Veam Monitor? ( I assume the older ones like 2000 or XP?)

Pete
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Best practice for single host monitoring

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Pete,

No, there is no Linux-based appliance for Veeam Monitor. And yes, Veeam Monitor has to monitor the corresponding host 24/7 if you want to receive alarms and react proactively.

What about installing Veeam Monitor on any machine (can be any existing physical host or VM) and target it to collect information from that ESXi free host? Do you have any machines running all the time?

Also please look through our system requirements section in the Release Notes document for the minimum resources required.

Thanks.
Pete
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Peter Gutbrod

Re: Best practice for single host monitoring

Post by Pete »

I have a few machines running 24/7 but these are either Linux or Mac OS X. I usually have no Windows machines running 24/7.

Your link gives me a "AccessDeniedRequest has expired ..." error.

Pete