Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Stuck on Resolving Hyper-V Hierarchy

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

We've just upgraded our Hyper-V SCVMM server version from 2012 to 2016.

My Hyper-V backups didn't complete, which I had expected.

I've tried adding a new VMM server to the Backup Infrastructure > Managed Servers > Microsoft Hyper-V > SCVMM Servers section of the console.

It hangs on the stage where it tries to resolve the Hyper-V hierarchy

The old 2012 version of the software has been removed from the network... I've noticed when rescanning the old server (all the jobs are linked to this server so it cannot be deleted) that the same hanging behavior occurs.

Would we have to restore the old 2012 SCVMM before we can add the new 2016 version?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Stuck on Resolving Hyper-V Hierarchy

Post by foggy »

I would ask support for assistance with the hanging rescan of the new server. The reason why it hangs should be clearly visible from the log files.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi EJ,

Could you please try upgrading the SCVMM components residing on the backup server to 2016?

Thanks
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

We've got "Microsoft System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager" version 4.0.1662.0 installed on the backup server. Is anything else required?

Is it possible this isn't working due to the 2012 VMM software having been removed? The requirements document doesn't mention anything else. Only that you must have the VMM console for whichever version of SCVMM you have.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Correct, you need an SCVMM console that matches the SCVMM server version (2016 in your case). The console is included in the VMM bundle by default. Two different versions of the SCVMM console can not be installed on the same server, but the server removal procedure should not be impacted by the 2012 SCVMM console absence.

Сould you please make sure the versions are the same? If they are, the best way to proceed would be to let our support team investigate it.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I think our issue is a little more complicated by the fact that we changed the SCVMM server at the same time. The old 2012 management server in this case was retired, a new 2016 management server was configured and the new SCVMM console installed on the B&R server.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

At least part of this has been resolved now. I remembered from a similar problem we had before that we disabled TLS 1.0 in our Server 2016 build. So I've re-enabled that and I've been able to add the 2016 SCVMM. I'm a bit annoyed with myself for having forgot about this.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Client
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.0\Server

Amend the DWORD value for the 'enabled' entry to hexadecimal 1. Then restart the server.

All I have to do is move my jobs from the old to new and delete the 2012 SCVMM. Should be fine.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi EJ,

Thank you for the update. This was a bit unexpected.

I'd suggest configuring SCVMM to use more recent TLS versions because TLS 1.0 is considered to be insecure.

Regards,
Fedor