Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
boym8087
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bo M

Using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 with personal OneDrive account?

Post by boym8087 »

As the title says. Is this possible? I have a small client that currently has a personal OneDrive account set up for all his important documents and files. He plans to migrate to a business account when his subscription ends, about 7 months from now. In the meantime, he wants his OneDrive backed up weekly. I tried using the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Community Edition, but can't seem to get it to work correctly. I've tried both modern authentication and basic authentication methods and each has their own reasons for not going through. With the modern authentication option, it asks for an Application ID and an Application Secret, which I believe needs to come from Azure Active Directory. Since it's a personal account, it is not part of any domain, so I can't find that information there, nor could I find any option under the various settings in his account. When using legacy authentication, I get error messages for both connecting to Microsoft Graph and Powershell. The error states "accessing_ws_metadata_exchange_failed." Any advice would be appreciated. I'm guessing it needs to be an enterprise based account, but not entirely sure.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 with personal OneDrive account?

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi boym8087,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Second: No, it is not possible. Microsoft OneDrive for Business is a special SharePoint library with a specific layout on top of it. OneDrive personal on the other hand is completely different technology. They only share a name :-). But because the technology is different, we cannot protect it.

What you can do is look at the Veeam Agent for Windows free edition. Because the OneDrive account will be downloaded on a location on the PC, then you can protect it as such
boym8087
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bo M

Re: Using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 with personal OneDrive account?

Post by boym8087 »

Thank you for the reply. I did set up Veeam for Windows while looking for a solution to my problem, so I will continue to use that.