Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
wilson
Novice
Liked: never

BMR of Server 2019 DC BSOD after reboot

Post by wilson »

Hello

I have just completed a bare metal restore of my Windows Server 2019 Essentials server but the problem is that when the server completes the restore and reboots the second time it blue screens. I'm thinking that this is likely due to being in DSRM or Safe Mode but I tried using the F* key and then booting into DSRM to get to the login again but though I know to login as ./Administrator I do not know the password so I'm stuck.
Can anyone suggest a solution to this difficult situation I find myself in?
The server won't boot without BSOD and I do not have the DSRM password so what to do please.

I wish that bcdedit or ntdsutil were available tools in the Windows Tools section of the recovery.
I'm hoping that maybe if I reboot with the original server installation media that I will be able to get to the Advanced Options - Command prompt and maybe use NTDSUtil to maybe reset the DSRM password or will I possibly be able to just use BCDedit commands to take it out of safe mode then reboot?

Thanks for any help or input.
wilson
Novice

Re: BMR of Server 2019 DC BSOD after reboot

Post by wilson »

The first startup was complete, but then Windows rejected my login attempt telling me that there are no authentication sources available.
Then the Windows Server 2019 Essentials initiated a reboot on its own.

After this reboot the system fails to start and after a few seconds with the white spinning circle I get a blue screen telling me that "there was a problem with the PC and it needs to be restarted". The halt code is "0xc00002e2" which gives me no explanation what the exact problem is.
On the blue screen there is a progress reported on collecting information on this error which takes a while. After this the machine reboots into the same blue screen over and over again.
wilson
Novice

Post by wilson »

The server is an HP Gen10 Microserver running Server 2019 Essentials.
wilson
Novice

Post by wilson »

Anyone?
wilson
Novice

Post by wilson »

The halt code is "0xc00002e2"
It turns out that there must have been some AD corruption after the restore possibly.
I was finally able to obtain the DSRM password and login successfully.
From there I launched an administrative command prompt and run the following commands:

ntdsutil.exe
activate instance ntds
files

If there is a problem with the Active Directory database NTDS.DIT, you will see an error like the following:
Could not initialize the Jet engine: Jet Error -501. Failed to open DIT for AD DS/LDS instance NTDS. Error -2147418113

To resolve this issue, rename all of the .log files located in C:\Windows\NTDS\ to .log.old, so the logs can be recreated after reboot.

This should fixed the database after the server is rebooted once more.
If you continue to get the error, you can access again Directory Services Restore Mode and run the following command:

esentutl /p "c:\windows\ntds\ntds.dit"

Reboot the server and the issue should be solved. It solved my BSOD issue and the server booted up normally to the Domain login.