Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

New backup chains?

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

Following on from a problem I've recently fixed ( microsoft-hyper-v-f25/stuck-on-resolvin ... 63140.html )

It seems after changing the SCVMM server that the Hyper-V jobs are creating new master files on the storage platform. The masters appear out of sequence with the rest of the chain.

Although on that system we have 50% of our storage system still available I am wondering if I should interpret the creation of new masters as a signal that the old backup chains have been abandoned?

What is going to happen to those old chains? Will they still be restorable (I suppose I could test that), and will they be cleaned up by retention policy or are they going to fall through the net now that the jobs have created new chains and require manual deletion?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: New backup chains?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi EJ.

Yes, changing SCVMM will treat migrated VMs as new. Guess you already edited existing job and re-added "same" VMs? Chain will be continued, however we will have to backup entire machines again(its not Full backup as we see it, but entire vhdx will be read again in the incremental session).
Your old restore points are recoverable of course, and they will be cleared out according to your job retention settings. You can force\control deletion by using Deleted Items Retention setting.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

In terms of data written to disk it is making a new file the same size as all the other larger files in the chain. I'd call that a 'master' and the small files 'deltas'. If the chains will be trimmed automatically then that's great. Will keep an eye on it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, the previous (obsolete) restore points will be removed in accordance with the specified job retention. Thanks!