Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wingy
Novice
Liked: never

back up job failing due to license limitation

Post by wingy »

This might be a completely daft question but i'm relatively new to veeam (just been handed it over from an old colleague still exploring!)

i have a back up job that's failing due to this error:
20/11/2019 18:27:21 :: Error: Unable to perform backup to scale-out backup repository due to license limitations

Now the error seems quite obvious in general but, i cannot figure what the issue is. As far as my scale out set is concerned, I'm as per our (standard) license dictates for the scale out repository. so I'm not sure what license limitations it's referring too.

I can't seem to find a KB article or other article that reasons what else this error could be.

Any chance someone has had this before and could shed some light on what the cause could be?

regards
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: back up job failing due to license limitation

Post by PTide »

Hi,
As far as my scale out set is concerned, I'm as per our (standard) license dictates for the scale out repository. so I'm not sure what license limitations it's referring too.
Kindly check the paragraph with limitations here
The scale-out backup repository functionality is available in the Enterprise and Enterprise Plus editions of Veeam Backup & Replication.
If you configure a scale-out backup repository and then downgrade to the Standard license, you will not be able to run jobs targeted at the scale-out backup repository.
and
If you use Enterprise Edition of Veeam Backup & Replication, you can create 2 scale-out backup repositories.

For each scale-out backup repository, you can add 1 object storage repository and 4 extents: 3 active, and 1 inactive (that is put to the Maintenance mode). You can add inactive extents, for example, if any of active extents has no free space, and you want to evacuate backup data from it.

If you add 4 extents and do not put any of them to the Maintenance mode, the jobs targeted at the scale-out backup repository will fail.

Enterprise Plus Edition has no limitations on the number of scale-out backup repositories or extents.
Thanks!
wingy
Novice

Post by wingy »

thank you for the quick response!

we do have an Enterprise license. I just assumed Enterprise was the lowest level! so that at least rules our that as the issue!

i'll take a look at this and see if i can figure out what it might be!
wingy
Novice

Post by wingy »

looking through these limitations - i'm wondering if this might be the cause:

Veeam Backup & Replication does not split one backup file across multiple extents.

is there any easy way to determine from the logs, exactly what limitation is causing this?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

No easy way, as this error is totally unexpected with Enterprise edition (as long as you have 2 or less scale-out repositories, each with 3 or less extents). So, you will need to contact our support for further investigations. Please include support case ID in this thread, as requested when you click New Topic, otherwise moderators will eventually remove it. Thanks!