Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tjurgens
Service Provider
Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Veeam Backup Repositories

Post by tjurgens »

Has anyone had experience with the Veeam integrated backup repositories (HPE StoreOnce, Dell DataDomain, Exagrid, Quantum DXI) as a cloud connect provider?

I am curious if the deduplication claims are as good as they suggest. How do Veeam encrypted backups impact those deduplication claims?

I'm looking for "a better way" to handle our repositories and I figure the community here may have experience here before I start vendor discussions.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam Backup Repositories

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Tyler and welcome to the community!

Data encryption has a negative effect on the deduplication ratio.
It is not recommended to use deduplicating storage appliances as cloud repositories. To protect VM data that is backed up to the cloud repository, tenants are likely to use data encryption. For deduplicating storage appliances, encrypted data blocks appear as different though they may contain duplicate data. Thus, deduplicating storage appliances will not provide the expected deduplication ratio.
You can find additional information in the User Guide.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

FYI, HPE StoreOnce is not supported as a cloud repository.
tjurgens
Service Provider
Liked: 54 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tjurgens »

Thank you for the replies @DGrinev and @foggy! Really good to know about the HPE StoreOnce! There is lots of really good information here, which helped me out a lot (https://www.veeam.com/kb1745).

It makes sense that if the customer encrypts the backups, we would lose the dedupe benefits. That led me to wonder how I can tell easily which customers are sending us encrypted backups. How can I tell without browsing to each vbk and looking for a key, or a time consuming task of importing the backups? Is there any script I can run to give me that information?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No such script exists, you might try to ask support team whether they are aware of some db query, but I'd say - chances are low. Anyway, even having this knowledge wouldn't prevent your customers from enabling encryption at their end.

Also, be aware that we do not support usage of HPE StoreOnce deduplicating storage appliances as cloud repositories.

Thanks!