Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
phil987AQ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Bailey

Add physical as stand alone tape server or migrate all Veeam roles to physical?

Post by phil987AQ »

Hi
We have Veeam running inside a VM which has been working great for a long time. We also have Microsoft Data Protection Manager running with a physical tape library which used to backup all the physicals. Now there is really nothing left for DPM to backup so what I would like to do is use the physical server (DL360 Gen 9) and tape library (MSL2024) to backup VM's using Veeam. Really I want to get offline copies of all the servers to protect against ransomware etc etc.
I'm trying to figure out if I should just erase the DPM server and install Veeam from scratch and configure a new instance of Veeam and have it running all on one server (the physical) or I should just install the physical as a tape sever to the existing Veeam VM. I have about 10 ESX hosts and 140 VM's. My job setup is very simple and I am not too worried about migrating etc.
What are your thoughts and is any particular setup better when recovering from disaster?
Many thanks
Phil
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Add physical as stand alone tape server or migrate all Veeam roles to physical?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, makes sense. Thumbs up 👍

With a standalone Windows system (no domain to prevent against malware with domain admin permissions), you can avoid any chicken-egg issues and with the tape you have real air-gap

Best regards,
Hannes
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Add physical as stand alone tape server or migrate all Veeam roles to physical?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Phil,

Mind me asking what type of repository you are using to store the disk backups and how you plan to connect this repository with your tape device? Thanks!
phil987AQ
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Phil Bailey

Post by phil987AQ »

Hi, I am using a EMC Data Domain for the disk repository. The tape drive will be connected to the physical server via SAS cables. Therefore I am guessing the backups will traverse the network to get to the tapes.
Phil
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

You could install tape server role on top of DD gateway server and conned tape library with it. That would isolate the traffic within single component.