Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

\VBRCatalog\Index\Machines

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

Anyone come across the issue of the following folder filling up the drive x:\VBRCatalog\Index\Machines

This has happened over a long period of time. But it's taken more than 100GB on a physical hard disk. It looks like it contains the data for the guest indexing?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: \VBRCatalog\Index\Machines

Post by wishr »

Hi EJ,

Correct, this folder contains guest indexing data including information about volumes, folder structure, files, etc. It is necessary for Enterprise Manager functionalities including 1-click restores. B&R itself takes care of the retention of these files, meaning unnecessary data is deleted when possible. I would not recommend removing it manually unless you do not use EM at all, but in this case, you can simply disable Guest OS File Indexing in the jobs.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello EJ!

By the way, you could decrease catalog retention period if you had Enterprise or Enterprise plus edition.
With standard edition, the catalog stores indexes only for those backups which are stored on a repository.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

I was able to delete the data for two jobs which became orphaned. But that's only got me about 2GB back. As it's a physical hard disk there is no way to quickly expand it... so I'll have to look at the options. This B&R server has no repository as the repository servers are separate from the B&Rs in our setup. So there isn't any big disk I can move the index to.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

PetrM wrote: Nov 11, 2019 4:49 pm By the way, you could decrease catalog retention period if you had Enterprise or Enterprise plus edition.
With standard edition, the catalog stores indexes only for those backups which are stored on a repository.
I can see that now... what is the disadvantage of a backup not having a guest file system catalog... i.e. if I set it to 1 month but there were jobs with retention longer than 1 month how would the restore process be affected?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

It mostly depends on whether do you use EM or not. If not - simply disable indexing completely.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Yes, the best way is to disable indexing if you don't use EM.

ejenner wrote:if I set it to 1 month but there were jobs with retention longer than 1 month how would the restore process be affected?
Enterprise Manager won't be able to display symlinks to folders in the file system browser during 1 click restore when restoring from backups older than 1 month.

Please keep in mind that the basic functionality of the 1 click restore feature is available even when indexing is disabled: another file search mechanism is used.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

yah, I don't use Enterprise Manager for restoring files.

I've found if I search for a file I know exists it actually can't find it... so just easier to go to the B&R console for restores. Only downside is the Service Desk have to ask me when they want to do a restore for an end user.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I've found if I search for a file I know exists it actually can't find it
Looks unexpected - if some files are not findable via Enterprise Manager, you might want to submit a support ticket. Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner » 2 people like this post

If it caused a problem I'd look into it but happy just to workaround. I also prefer the classic method of drilling down through a file system to locate a file. At least when you go to the location specified by the end user you can establish whether or not a variation of the filename they provided exists in the location.
GregorS
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Gregor Smerke

Post by GregorS »

yah, I don't use Enterprise Manager for restoring files.
Did you disable guest file system indexing then, since you absolutely don't need it?
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

No, but might be a good idea as you mention it. If it is only for Enterprise Manager to catalogue the files then I don't require it. If it would stop file level restore from the console then I absolutely have to keep it.

I think I deleted a few old servers from the cache and that freed up enough for the issue to be postponed.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you don't use Enterprise Manager for file-level restore, you can safely disable file indexing. File-level restore from backup server won't be affected anyhow. Thanks!