Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Daniel2
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Daniel

Offline Backup Windows Client?

Post by Daniel2 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

does Veeam have a product in its portfolio that allows us to do offline (no install, bootable from USB/CD) backups of Windows client computer occasionally? Paid or free.

Cheers
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Offline Backup Windows Client?

Post by wishr »

Hi Daniel,

You may use Veeam Agent for Windows, but it should be installed on a target machine first (takes just a few minutes, can be done using UI or Agent Configurator), then you can perform various data protection activities both using UI and Agent Configurator. For example, you may create a Recovery Media and restore from ISO/CD/DVD in case of a disaster.

Alternatively, you may utilize Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition (Free) to centrally manage Veeam Agents through a single console. In the latter case, you can deploy Veeam Agents automatically through the network.

Both products should be installed first (due to the nature of the underlying applications and related services), but offer lots of extremely useful capabilities for daily data protection operations.

Thanks!
Daniel2
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Daniel

Post by Daniel2 »

Too bad you don't offer something to do an offline backup.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

What is a need for it in your particular case?
DooM_2049
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim die Lokomotive

Post by DooM_2049 »

Hello,

are there any new plans for an offline backup client?

Cheers
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There are no plans for now to support this capability.
DooM_2049
Novice
Full Name: Tim die Lokomotive

Post by DooM_2049 »

Ok. :-(

Thanks for the fast answer.
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Hari Seldon

[MERGED] Agent backup from bootable media?

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Is there a way to use the bootable media to take a block level or volume level STANDALONE (monolithic... not part of any existing chain) bare metal “rescue” backup of a pc from that point (outside of the every day driver operating system)?

Similar to booting windows PE and using the classic Norton ghost to take an image store it on a removable disk or network drive.

I need to troubleshoot a OS problem, and I want to backup my data before tinkering.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

[MERGED] Re: Agent backup from bootable media?

Post by Mildur »

Not possible today with Veeam. There is already a topic for that. Feel free to have a look:

veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/offline-bac ... 63264.html
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Thank you for the feedback!
You answer and that link is unfortunate for the state of today... it means using a non-veeam offline backup solution for "rescues backups" and it means keeping two standards of backup formats: Veeam and non-Veeam.
Unless you can recommend a non-veeam offline backup solution that can be "converted" to veeam format standards?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

This „offline backup solution for "rescues backups"“ is something you do in a emergency scenario. It‘s definitely not a daily task.

Just use a disk cloning software from another company if you need it. The demo version will work I think.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
smistry
Novice
Full Name: Siraj Mistry

[MERGED] Running the Veeam Agent as a portable application

Post by smistry »

I want to be able to create a full backup image on a clean workstation without making any changes on this system.
I have used portable versions of Ghost and Macrium on a WinPe, Strelec and Hirens Boot USB.

Is it possible to add the Backup Agent as a portable app on one of the above platforms?
The recovery media only allows you to restore an image not create one. This option should be available.

I want my team to use Veeam as our default imaging app for all disaster recovery scenarios.
This would allow us to switch over to Veeam 100% and not renew contracts for other vendors.

Since the windows workstation version is available for free why isn't available for potable use?
Any help on creating portable versions of the Veeam tools would be awesome.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
no, that's not possible. Please see the answers above.

Best regards,
Hannes
smistry
Novice
Full Name: Siraj Mistry

Post by smistry »

Thanks for the response.
Will this be considered for a future improvement.
I am sure adding a backup feature on the Rescue media would be an easy task and very useful to customers.
Oh well. I guess we will the competitors solutions instead.
Hariseldon1
Enthusiast

[MERGED] Lingering Disappointment: VEB Windows BMR Boot

Post by Hariseldon1 »

Hello.

Thank you for VEAM / Veeam Agent for Windows!

VEB / Veeam Agent for Windows works great and is a fantastic tool....... when the "why-you-need-a-backup" situation-at-hand is not quite yet so bad.
VEB / Veeam Agent for Windows BMR bootable media tool works great and is a fantastic tool....... is super fabulous awesome at recovery when "backup" situations that worsen to the point of no-other-option but total wipe out

Thank you!

Nothing new, I know you never have been interested in allowing the BMR bootable media tool take "offline" system backups... sometimes it is important to take one last backup (for posterity sake) before total wipe out recovery.

I am dealing with a Windows booting issue and I dearly wish I could take a state-of-state backup via BMR bootable media tool.... before I wipe out the system.
("no" the existing backup chain is lost, i will have to format+reinstall windows from scratch)

Windows will barely boot, which makes it impossible to make one-full-backup before wipe out.

I do not want to appear ungrateful. I know this is feature request old-as-time. And I know this lack of "offline-backup" tools rarely comes up. But it only comes up in the worst of times, and VEB BMR fails to provide this "Last Rite" option.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2880 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
we like to hear, that you like our product :-)

About the offline backup: I merged your request to one of the existing threads around this topic. We see that request coming up from time to time and we count your request +1 👍

Best regards,
Hannes