Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Danielev77
Novice
Liked: never

Backup and restore a Nextcloud istance

Post by Danielev77 »

Hi,

Today I've tested a file level restore with Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 of a Nextcloud 17 VM running on Vsphere 6.5.
The backup is done via a full VM Backup

The VM is a Linux based personal cloud system configured with 3 disks:
1 - ext4 main system root
2 - zfs data disk original prebuild on the machine mounted on mnt/ncdata
3 - zfs data disk I have added for expand VM data capacity mounted on mnt/ncdata

All the users data are on the data disks that the VM see as a single pool.

So when I started a file level restore for that VM, Veeam create the temporaty VM but when I go for the users files I find that mnt/ncdata is empty. When I click the VLM node the only disk available is the 1) ext4 indeed.

I don't understand why the other disks are not in the backup since this is a full VM backup.

Any advice ??

Thank you
Adrian1980
Service Provider
Liked: 11 times

Re: Backup and restore a Nextcloud istance

Post by Adrian1980 »

Hi,

from the HelpCenter:
The FLR appliance uses module ZFSonLinux version 0.7.0. For this reason, Veeam Backup & Replication supports only those versions of pools and features that are available in ZFSonLinux version 0.7.0.

This does not mean, the disks are not in backup, you only maybe don't able to do a FLR.
You can check this by InstantRecovery the VM (without network) and check if the disks are avaible, then you can get the files you need from there.

Greets,
Adrian
Proud to be a Veeam Certified Architect.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Daniele,

First of all, check if vmdk disks behind said mounts were backed up in the first place:
- you can double click said backup job to pull Statistics window for last run and click on VM in the list. Check log if all VMDK disks were processed.
- you can Right click the backup(under Backups-Disk) and select "Restore virtual disks" and see if all VM disks are in place to select.

If all VM disks were backed up, then recovery problem is 1 layer below, at Guest OS file system\mounts(like ZFS version, enabled encryption or something).

I am not a Nextcloud expert, but it is also worth checking recommended way to backup said VM. Might be best with Veeam Agent instead of image-based backup.

Hope that helps!
Danielev77
Novice

Post by Danielev77 »

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Adrian = yes with instant VM I see all disks. I can see the vmdk but I don't know how to extract them from there since this is a pool of disks.

Egor = yes I see all disks backed up from statistics and I can restore virtual disks from Disks Backup. So I think perhaps a complete VM restore will work but I cannot access to the ZFS files at file level ?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Yup, it seems like guest OS partition is not visible for our file-level restore appliance for some reason.
If you are sure ZFS-related system requirements are met, then feel free to open a ticket and troubleshoot with support to see root cause.
/Cheers
Danielev77
Novice

Post by Danielev77 »

Thank you Egor,

Ticket opened.

Cheers