Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
MikeOrr
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Orr

Retention Period

Post by MikeOrr »

Hi, I am planning to use Veeam Agent as a backup solution for a single computer in a production facility. I can see from the settings in the free version that the maximum retention period is 730 days, is it the same for the paid version?
Also, if I make a copy of the backups every 6 months or so, will I be able to restore from them after the maximum retention period is past?
Thanks in advance for any help :)
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Retention Period

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I believe you can always restore data from Veeam backup files using the Veeam Extract Utility.

In the paid version you can set settings which retain data forever. Even then though, you still have the challenge of whether or not you'd have all the necessary software to perform a restore from way back. When repositories change or with other changes you could create problems for your long term archives if moves aren't well planned, so may still require the use of Veeam Extract anyway.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Retention Period

Post by Dima P. »

I can see from the settings in the free version that the maximum retention period is 730 days, is it the same for the paid version?
For the server edition you can define retention in restore points. This value will be applied to the primary backup, for instance if you are performing coping backup files to another location manually or via Veeam B&R this retention wont be applied.
Also, if I make a copy of the backups every 6 months or so, will I be able to restore from them after the maximum retention period is past?
Sure. Retention can be applied only be Veeam Agent application ( if agent cant see backup files - it cannot remove the retied restore points). Cheers!