Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jslanier
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stan Lanier

How to move backups off-site

Post by jslanier »

I am currently backing up an entire volume on a Windows Server, but I do not have the local storage space to keep a ton of backups. I have written a script to move any and all files from the backup job folder up to Google Drive, but I am not sure this will completely get the job done. Doesn't the .vbm file change based on what is currently in the directory? I am keeping a rolling 60 days of backups locally. Let's say I decided to go pull a 1-year-old backup and try to restore it. Wouldn't I need the .vbm file from the day that backup was done? Or at least a vbm file that was around when that backup was stored locally?

Thanks,
Stan
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How to move backups off-site

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Stan.

Yes, VBM is an essential part of agent backup chain and shall be accompanied by respectful vbk+vib files.
For a production server with quite long backup retention(1 year, right?) you might want to think of a more "production" style storage(no offense to Google Drive), like an entry-level NAS to keep your 60 days locally, and an offsite copy to a local(or not?) cloud provider(you can use Veeam Cloud Connect).

Thanks!
jslanier
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stan Lanier

Post by jslanier »

Getting more local storage is not an option. I was asking the question to ensure my backup script was grabbing the appropriate things before syncing to the cloud. It sounds like I need to be backing up that VBM daily to the cloud and just have a bunch of versions of it in the cloud. All of my backups in the chain are going there too. In the unlikely event that I would need to pull an aged backup, I would just need to download the applicable VBM with all the backups in the chain, right?

I think I can have my backup script create a new folder daily to drop the VBM in along with a list of the other backup filenames that exist locally. Does this sound logical to you?

Thanks,
Stan
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Yes, that will do the trick.
Not very storage efficient but will achieve your requirement.