Management reporting and documentation
Valkyyria
Novice
Liked: never

Backup Windows & Tape Utilization

Post by Valkyyria »

Dear All,

We are working on our Veeam One Reporting, especially for non technical Customers. We already worked out a few reports, but are now having problems with 2 certain Reports.

For One, we would like to have a Report for Backup Window. When i look at the Veeam Reporter Dashboard -> Veeam Backup and Replication i can see a "Backup Window" Panel which gives us the exact information we want. Easy to understand, still giving some information to the customer, about how long their backups need each night. Still i cannot find a report, giving me the same easy information.

The Second one we would like, is a simple Report about how much Space of the Tapes is utilized. I know, that the "Tape Media Retention Period" lists Capacity and Free Space of Tapes, but we would like to know, if there is a possibility to make it more user friendly and graphic. Something like the first Illustration of the "Capacity Planning for Backup Repositories".

Very Happy if anyone has an idea for this. :-)

Kind Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Windows & Tape Utilization

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi,
Valkyyria wrote:For One, we would like to have a Report for Backup Window. When i look at the Veeam Reporter Dashboard -> Veeam Backup and Replication i can see a "Backup Window" Panel which gives us the exact information we want. Easy to understand, still giving some information to the customer, about how long their backups need each night. Still i cannot find a report, giving me the same easy information.
If you want to have the same output in the report, then you can try using the dashboard scheduling option and send the screenshot of this dashboard to your customer.
Valkyyria wrote:The Second one we would like, is a simple Report about how much Space of the Tapes is utilized. I know, that the "Tape Media Retention Period" lists Capacity and Free Space of Tapes, but we would like to know, if there is a possibility to make it more user-friendly and graphic. Something like the first Illustration of the "Capacity Planning for Backup Repositories".
There is no extra setting to change the report layout, but if you could share a bit more details on what you want to see there, we will discuss it internally with the RnD team.

Thanks!
Valkyyria
Novice

Post by Valkyyria »

Dear Vitaly,

Thank you very much. I will test the Dashboard Scheduling, as it could be exactly what we need! Totally slipped my attention!

I meant something like this:

As we know for the Repositories Capacity Planning, but instead with Tapes. Maybe in "Tapes used last X Days". Maybe also the "Days Left" option, were you can put how many Tapes you use per Full Backup, so you know when you will need some more tapes etc.

Kind Regards
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Viola,
Valkyyria wrote: Maybe in "Tapes used last X Days". Maybe also the "Days Left" option, were you can put how many Tapes you use per Full Backup, so you know when you will need some more tapes etc.
The potential problem with tapes is that we never know if you erased it or not as Veeam ONE does not have direct access to tapes that are loaded and offloaded. We will log this FR for our next updates, maybe there is something that we can do relatively easily.

Thanks!
Valkyyria
Novice

Post by Valkyyria »

Dear Vitaliy,

Our Customers would love to get something like this, as it would make planning etc. much easier. Especially since we have lots of smaller customers, that dont have a huge amount of tapes to use in cases, where the Infrastructure slowly outgrows their Tapes etc.
I will wait for future Releases then. :-)

Thank you very much!
Viola
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Ok, thanks for the FR!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Viola,
Could you specify the request about tape utilization?
Do you want a graph of top-5 tapes (barcodes) or media sets/media pools?
Thanks