Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Veeam cleaning tape is NOT unrecognized

Post by adam900331 »

Hello!

I am deploying a new tape library with Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5.4.2866. The tape library is HP 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR 5.20 with 7 tape and 1 cleaning tape. The cleaning tape should be unrecognized, but the cleaning tape is in the media pool which I created. When I run a file to tape job, the cleaning tape won't do clean before the file to tape job. How can I mark the cleaning tape to the "cleaning tape"? Or how can I put this tape to unrecognized media pool?

Thank you!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam cleaning tape is NOT unrecognized

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi adam,

please make sure Automatic Drive Cleaning is enabled under Drive options in Veeam console.
Cleaning tape should reside under Unrecognized pool anyway, so if Catalog\Inventory led it over to some other pool, I would double check with support, cos it's an abnormal behavior.

Thanks!
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

Hi Egor!

This is my first configuration with tape library. When I connected to the Veeam server the tape library device and powered on it, the all tape was in the unrecognized media pool. But after it, I have created the new production media pool, and 1 accidentally selected the all disk, include the cleaning tape. I can move the cleaning tape from the production media pool, to the default pool which name is Free.

But there is an interesting thing for me. When I perform an action on this cleaning tape, like inventorying action, I got the following error message:

Code: Select all

2019. 12. 02. 11:36:03 Error    Failed to inventory tape in Drive 1 (Server: Server, Library: HP 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR 5.20, Drive ID: Tape0) Error: Unrecognized media
According to the error message, the cleaning tape is unrecognized.
adam900331
Veteran

Post by adam900331 »

I solved it. I clicked with right click on the tape library name and select rescan option. After it, the cleaning tape move to unrecognized media pool automatically. Thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Glad it worked.
Cheers!