RESTful knowledge exchange
infraerik
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Missing important information from Job objects

Post by infraerik »

I'm noticing some strange gaps in the information in the job objects and wondering if there's any way to infer or find this information elsewhere. Notably:
  • The object exclusion list isn't present
  • The destination repository isn't listed (!)
  • The configured retention policy isn't listed
  • There are no agent or tape jobs included in the job list
  • Last run status
Any chance we could get an idea if/when these might be added in, or alternate means of figuring out this information? On the tape front, I'm guessing that the only method is to fall back to powershell directly on individual servers, but that's going to be complicated by the network and authentication segmentation in this environment.

Pointers appreciated,

Erik
chris.arceneaux
VeeaMVP
Liked: 358 times
Full Name: Chris Arceneaux

Re: Missing important information from Job objects

Post by chris.arceneaux »

Hi Eric,

Please see my responses below.
infraerik wrote:The object exclusion list isn't present
  • Currently, information regarding exclusions is not available via RESTful API.
infraerik wrote:The destination repository isn't listed
infraerik wrote:The configured retention policy isn't listed
  • Currently, information regarding retention policy is not available via RESTful API.
  • If you're curious about the number of Restore Points each job has available you can use this API call: (GET) /restorePoints
infraerik wrote:There are no agent or tape jobs included in the job list
  • There are API calls dedicated to agent backup jobs: (GET) /agents
  • Currently, information regarding tape jobs is not available via RESTful API.
infraerik wrote:Last run status
infraerik wrote:On the tape front, I'm guessing that the only method is to fall back to powershell directly on individual servers, but that's going to be complicated by the network and authentication segmentation in this environment.
  • Easiest option would be to have the Backup & Replication Console (includes PowerShell) installed on an easily accessible remote computer with necessary ports allowed. As it seems you were able to get EM REST API ports allowed, adding these port(s) should be doable.
  • Another more involved option if using a VMware environment would be to use the PowerCLI cmdlet Invoke-VMScript to get the job done.
infraerik
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by infraerik »

Thanks for the info. Some of these approaches are less than obvious, like using the Backups and Backup Session which will return huge lists that need to be parsed to work backwards to the job.

The idea is that I'm trying to build a policy conformance report of the configuration of the jobs, so it would make more sense if the attributes of the job as presented in the UI were also presented as attributes of the job. At the moment, the workaround is to use remote PS-Session connections to the individual servers, to complete the data collection.
chris.arceneaux
VeeaMVP
Liked: 358 times
Full Name: Chris Arceneaux

Post by chris.arceneaux »

Thanks for the feedback, Eric.

I'll also mention there is a pre-built report in Veeam ONE with similar information.