Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
adb98
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Aaron B

Case # 03877273 - Exported Restore Points - Unable to backup to tape

Post by adb98 »

Here is the scenario - I was told to pull all backups for a job from the 7th of this month and put them on tape. No issues. Exported the backups I needed. I then moved them over to a new repository (Mtree) using Veeam File viewer. Still no issues. They show up in imported great.

I then went to back them up to tape forever and the tape job finds no backups in the repository. I know they are there. I see the VBK and VBM for each. I can restore files without issues as well. When it comes up though to pick the repository it shows 0 and states nothing to process.

I critically need this working as this is for legal purposes. I have a ticket in but thought I would reach out to see if anyone else has run into this and a fix.

FYI... Files to tape is also not an option as its a Data Domain and it doesn't see the repositories when browsing.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Case # 03877273 - Exported Restore Points - Unable to backup to tape

Post by ejenner »

Is the tape drive attached to your Backup and Replication server?
adb98
Enthusiast

Post by adb98 »

Its attached via a proxy tape server. The take library is fine. We backup jobs to tape every day. I am being told by support that the new export feature does not allow you to export to tape unless you redneck engineer it.

You have to create a dummy backup job for each one (each VM exported has its own VBM) and map to the individual backup. So if you have 13 VMs you have to create 13 individual jobs, map to each one, and then a tape job to point those jobs and then you should be able to backup to tape.

I really really really hope V10 has some fixes for this as this is a great feature we should have options of where to send the exports to.

Supports reply..........

To answer your question directly, anything that is under disk (imported) cannot be put on tape via backup to tape (though if you can access the location via SMB, or it is on a Windows/Linux server you can use file to tape). Alternatively if you export the backup in the manner documented above as compared to a copy paste you can use the steps below to map the backup to a chain which would then be allowed to be backed up via backup to tape.

1. Create a new dummy backup job
2. Add the VM you are trying to move to tape
3. Under the storage tab of the new job point to the repository were the exported backup is kept.
4. Select the map backup tab
5. Point it to the exported backup.
6. Finish creating the backup job, do not set it to run.
7. Create a backup to tape job pointing at the dummy backup job.
adb98
Enthusiast

Post by adb98 »

I also forgot to add.... I tried a physical server as we do have one physical server that is a file share and this method does not work as I am not able to map the backup. Shows nothing in the repository.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hi Aaron!

Think my shop hit something like that before (can't map to imported backup); do you see a "Repository" listed near the Restore Point in the Backups > Disk (Imported) part? If not, there are some powershell gymnastics you need to do.

$repo = Get-VBRBackupRepository -Name 'your repo'
Import-VBRBackup -Filename 'path/to/file' -Repository $repo

This should correctly import it and assign a repo for mapping purposes.

Though I doubt this works with DataDomain.

For F2T, can't you just enable a SMB share on the Mtree and pull it out that way? I'm positive we did this at one point with one of my clients
lyapkost
Expert
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Konstantin

Post by lyapkost »

Hi Aaron.

Imported backups and configuration backups will be skipped from processing by backup to tape job. This behavior will not be changed in foreseeable future. These backups can be copied to tape either with file to tape job (files should be located on Win, Linux hosts or on SMB share) or using a 'dummy job' for mapping the initial backup. Veeam Agent backups don't have manual mapping in VBR 9.5 U4 so the second method is not applicable to them.
adb98
Enthusiast

Post by adb98 »

Yea I had to use the later on my VMs by making a dummy job. That is going to be a real Pita though as I have been saving these up thinking I would have an easy end of year job for all the legal saves and now it looks like I can only do 1 per job and then write, redo the job with the next and then run the tape job again. It is going to take a while.

I have a case with Lv2 open for the physical. This is a DD so there is no option to write the file to tape as the repositories don't show up.

Veeam really needs to put an export to tape option for when you need to grab a specific restore point. This really sucks to go thru all this to pull few specific backups for legal and to get them saved to tape.
adb98
Enthusiast

Post by adb98 »

For anyone else that runs into this issue and it is critical for your business to get it done , it can be done but it will take a call to Lv2 support. I got an awesome Lv2 tech Mike S who was fantastic. It was not easy and I am not going to go into the details on how this was done but part of the process was creating a new VBM and then manually editing it and working in the original VBM. This in itself requires some pretty deep knowledge of parts of the metadata.

This whole process is clearly something that support should work with you on and even then it was uncharted waters we went thru. If you run into this I would say put a ticket in, request it get escalated and reference this post or ticket. Mike stated he was going to put some good notes internally and was looking to write an internal document on how this done.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Aaron,

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved and thank you for updating the thread! I've noted an improvement request to support file to tape jobs from DataDomain repository. Thanks!