Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dynalean
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dynalean

Advice on scheduling

Post by Dynalean »

Hi.

We recently started using Veeam b&R 5.0.2.230 (64 Bits).
If i understand correctly, when we setup a job with reversed incremental, my vbk file will always be the most recent state for the particular servers in the job. Plus, we can always go back in time, using the vbr files?

What I would like to know is the following: is it adviced to make periodic active fulls to avoid corruption of the original vbk file? Or should I use this option only to have vbk files for archiving purposes?

Thanks,

Dynalean
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Advice on scheduling

Post by foggy »

Dynalean wrote: If i understand correctly, when we setup a job with reversed incremental, my vbk file will always be the most recent state for the particular servers in the job. Plus, we can always go back in time, using the vbr files?
Yes, you understand right.
Dynalean wrote: What I would like to know is the following: is it adviced to make periodic active fulls to avoid corruption of the original vbk file? Or should I use this option only to have vbk files for archiving purposes?
It is just up to your backup policy. If you are ok with "synthetic" fulls than you do not need to perform periodic active fulls. Some companies just want to be sure that data is natively copied occasionally, rather than assembled from incremental backup chain.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Advice on scheduling

Post by Gostev »

Active fulls do not really make much sense as there is no analogous "drift" in the digital world, so forever-incremental backup does not produce different results even in the long run. Nevertheless, we understand that some companies have those illogical "policies" for historical reasons, requiring real full backups to be performed, which is why we added this feature (did not even have it until v4).

Plus, remember that periodic backup testing should be performed regardless of backup mode, or even backup solution you choose to use. And Veeam makes it easy - our SureBackup automated recoverability testing technology (available with Enterprise Edition) will help you spot any problem with your backup files immediately.