Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dslama
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Derek Slama

DHCP for Helper VMs

Post by dslama »

I just turned on Storage integration last night (Tegile/WD/DDN).
Previously, I was using direct SAN connection from the Proxy to the Storage (Veeam Server had 2 NICs in the iSCSI VLAN)
On every backup now, I'm getting a warning from my SEIM about the DHCP Filter service (Microsoft DHCP Service that basically only allows certain MAC addresses to get a DHCP lease)
I was getting this previously when doing certain restore operations, but now it's happening twice for every backup job (basically for every Volume/Disk).

I'm pretty sure that this is Veeam creating a hidden Helper VM and it's trying to boot and get a DHCP address from my regular server VLAN.
Can I control what addresses are in a pool to hand out to this Helper VM?
Can I set it statically? Can I define a list of MAC Addresses to use that I could reserve in DHCP?
In a few months, we'll get away from the DHCP Filtering and move to Cisco ISE for Network Security.

I might be able to run a pre and post script to turn off the DHCP Filtering and then turn it back on, but that seems like a wrong way to solve this.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: DHCP for Helper VMs

Post by Gostev »

Veeam absolutely does not provision or use any sort of Helper VMs when backing up from storage snapshots.