Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
iknowtech
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Jason Brantley

How can I accomplish this backup strategy most efficiently?

Post by iknowtech »

I'm backing up a Single Hyper-V Server. I have a dedicated Appliance I've built that runs Veeam B&R in a VM on Hyper-V Server. I'm hoping the appliance can provide double duty as the Backup Server and Target Hyper-V Host.

I'm looking for something similar to this for retention/schedules.
  • Hourly, Every Two, or Every Four hours, backups during business hours to target Hyper-V/Veeam Appliance for 48 hours.
  • Daily incremental backups to target Hyper-V/Veeam Appliance for 30 days.
  • Daily incremental backups for 2 weeks offsite Cloud Connect Repository.
  • GFS Archival to Object Storage.

The hourly/2/4 Hour backups, I'm just looking for a way to fail-over the VM's to Appliance with minimal potential data loss in the event of hardware failure on the Primary Hyper-V server at the site.

I have a Cloud Connect infrastructure setup in Azure, I'm considering Wasabi for the Archival Storage, but that will probably only make sense if the data isn't moving from Azure > Wasabi where I would get hit with Egress charges.

Between Replication, Backup Jobs, Backup Copy Jobs, Cloud Connect, SOBR, etc, I've confused myself here trying to figure out the most efficient way to do this. I'm trying to be mindful on storage/bandwidth/processing for all storage locations.

Hoping someone with more experience with Veeam than me, can chime in on how they would approach this to make sure I'm heading down the right path.

Also, curious to know how you would do this now, with 9.5 U4b, and what if anything you might change with the known feature sets coming with V10

Thanks in Advance.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: How can I accomplish this backup strategy most efficiently?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Jason!

1) Periodic schedule is available at the level of job settings, just select every 2 or 4 hours.
2) You can consider forever forward incremental (no fulls are scheduled) chain with corresponding retention.
3) I think you can schedule backup copy job once per 2 weeks and point it to cloud repository.
4) Offloading to object storage is performed according to Capacity Tier settings, please take a look at this article on our help center.

It make sense to run replica jobs as long as you have a dedicated DR site to host replicas for a quick fail over in case of production down scenario.
Backup copy job allows you to follow 3-2-1 rule.

By the way, I'd like to clarify one detail:
I have a dedicated Appliance I've built that runs Veeam B&R in a VM on Hyper-V Server. I'm hoping the appliance can provide double duty as the Backup Server and Target Hyper-V Host.
Do you install a VM with Hyper-V role enabled on the primary Hyper-V host and you're going to use this VM as a target host for replicas? I don't think that such deployment is reliable enough because you won't have a possibility to fail over to replicas if the primary host is down.

Thanks!
iknowtech
Service Provider

Post by iknowtech »

So the "Appliance", I'm basically want to potentially use is just a Small form factor PC (Core i5 - 9500T, 16GB RAM, 4TB SSD) that is running "Hyper-V Server 2019". The free core Type 1 Hypervisor.

The primary Hyper-V host I'm backing up is running the same "Hyper-V Server 2019".

The Veeam Backup and Replication server (simple single server deployment) is running in a Windows 10 VM on the "Appliance" Host.

Basically the goal is for the "Appliance" to serve dual purpose, by providing a 2nd Hyper-V host onsite in the case the primary host goes down for a hardware failure, as well as run the Veeam B&R software. The primary Hyper-V servers will only have 1-3 VM's in most of the deployments I'm looking to do in this scenario, and customers are very cost conscience.

My goal is to basically create something that can compete with a Datto Alto with regards to functionality, but allow for backing up more than the 8-900GB or so those devices are limited too.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Jason!

Sorry, I misunderstood the initial description.
I think that this scenario is valid.

Thanks!
iknowtech
Service Provider

Post by iknowtech » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for your feedback.