adamhodgkins
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Adam Hodgkins

Constant backup failures !!!!!

Post by adamhodgkins »

[Support case ID 549815]

Hi all,

Since upgrading to Veeam 5 things for us have gone from bad to worse.... we are constantly having all jobs fail and this is becoming a massive issue for us and our customers. The errors we are encountering are:

Details
Publishing catalog session
PrepStorageForWriteEx failed 'E:\<filename>.vib'
Client error: Incorrect function
Failed to flush file buffers. File: [E:\<filename>vib].

I've hunted around on the Internet and found no information, also contacted Veeam support with all logs etc.. but have heard nothing hack yet!!!! :evil:

Does anyone know what may be causing these erros or and how to resolve as at the moment I'm seriously considering moving to another product!!!!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Adam
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Constant backup failures !!!!!

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Adam,

As far as I can I see from your ticket, it has been assigned research/testing status, which may require some additional time for troubleshooting. We have never seen this issue reported before, could you please clarify if you are using a removable device as a destination target?

Thank you!
adamhodgkins
Lurker
Full Name: Adam Hodgkins

Post by adamhodgkins »

Hi,

No I'm not using a removable device to back up to, it is a hard drive in our server.

Thanks

Adam
Exrace
Enthusiast
Full Name: Exrace

Post by Exrace »

I had issues when I had a RDM to a SATA RDX drive and was using Physical mode - write caching was enabled and it caused some odd file corruption.
Are you getting any write to disk failures?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I guess it is safe to assume that the issue is specific to your environment, backup server or storage, and is not connected to v5 upgrade since this was never reported before. I would try moving Veeam Backup server to another computer. I would also try backing up to a CIFS share located on another computer, but if the issue has to deal with some Windows system cache faults on the current server, then just changing backup location to a CIFS share will not help.

Research/testing means this was sent off to highest level of technical support for investigation, this usually takes some time and will likely require webex with development staff (most environment-specific issues do); which is why I would suggest performing the above for now to make sure you are protected.

Thank you!
ogolub
Lurker
Full Name: Oleg Golub

Post by ogolub »

Is there any update fot this post? I am experiencing the same problem. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Oleg,

There is no information on resolution in the OP's support case, seems like he resolved it on his own by addressing environmental issue behind this behavior... looking at the error though, all signs point to some issue with the backup storage. I would recommend that you contact our technical team for assistance with troubleshooting.

Thanks.