Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
121x
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup Copy Job Not Creating Weekly Fulls

Post by 121x »

Hi All,

I can only assume I am missing something very simple here. I have a primary backup job that runs nightly which retains 14 recovery points. I then follow this up with a BCJ to a separate StoreOnce appliance that is configured to maintain 14 recovery points, plus 5 weekly backups.

Looking at the BCJ job I only see 14 incremental recovery points with the only full being the first backup point (14 days ago), no other weekly fulls. I should see at least 2 full's at a minimum considering Veeam sees the backup having run longer than 14 days. The regular backup job is creating a weekly full correctly, just not the BCJ.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong here?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Job Not Creating Weekly Fulls

Post by Shestakov »

Hi
Do you have Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments check box selected in backup copy job settings?
Do I understand correctly that you don't have active full backups scheduled for the primary backup job?
Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You need to wait until the oldest restore point (full) backup reaches a day scheduled for GFS backup. Check our User Guide for more information regarding this process. Thanks!
121x
Influencer

Post by 121x »

Shestakov wrote: Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm Hi
Do you have Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments check box selected in backup copy job settings?
Do I understand correctly that you don't have active full backups scheduled for the primary backup job?
Thanks
No, I did not but I have since enabled it after reading it is the 'recommended' option for dedupe appliances. However, my understanding is that option is 'recommended' for performance reasons and not actually 'required' for the GFS process to work as expected, like in my case, simply creating a 'son' backup each week. To confirm, are you saying that the GFS rotation will not properly occur when a deduplication appliance is used and this option is not specified?

Thank you
121x
Influencer

Post by 121x »

veremin wrote: Dec 12, 2019 3:35 pm You need to wait until the oldest restore point (full) backup reaches a day scheduled for GFS backup. Check our User Guide for more information regarding this process. Thanks!
I assure you I have. The backups have been running for over 20 days, yet I only have 14 incremental recovery points (the maximum permitted with the HP StoreOnce 3500's). I am using GFS on the BCJ. 14 restore points, and 5 weekly's. No monthly, no yearly, no quarterly. I would expect to see at least 2 full backups within the 14 day period but I do not.

Is it possible that because the 5 weekly's are greater than the maximum 14 days of recovery points that it never has a full chain to create a full? My understanding was that I would only need 7 daily restore points to create a full, and as such should have 2 full's within that 14 day window, or if relying on the 8th day for rollover of the 7 day chain, at least 1 full within that 14 day window.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The fact that backups have been running for 20 days does not necessarily mean that the oldest restore point has already reached the day selected for weekly GFS restore point.

- Say, backup copy job is running daily (it's running on daily basis, isn't it?)
- Backup copy job was initially started on Tuesday
- Monday is selected for weekly GFS restore point
- Retention period is 14 restore points

In this case, you will need to wait for 14 days plus 6-7 days (the time it takes for the oldest restore point to reach closest Monday).

If you feel you understand the concept behind GFS retention policy and still think that the experienced behaviour is unexpected, then, submit a support ticket.

Thanks!
121x
Influencer

Post by 121x »

In this case, you will need to wait for 14 days plus 6-7 days (the time it takes for the oldest restore point to reach closest Monday).
This may be my problem. I have retained the defaults of Saturday and I may not be there quite yet. I will monitor and open a ticket in the future should this end up not being the case.

Thanks again.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

If you already have 14 restore points in your backup chain, wait till closest Saturday/Sunday and see whether GFS restore point is created. If this doesn't happen, reach our support team for further investigation. Thanks!