Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
nonobio
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Bruno

Creating VSS snapshot Error

Post by nonobio »

Hello :)

I have a backup job for my main Windows 7 Desktop PC with a trigger when i plug my external disk; monthly.

Last backup failed and says :
Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042308].
Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed. Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042308].

I first tried to just reboot my PC : same issue.

Then i checked backup files with my file explorer and deleted the last incremental :

Same issue and it seems that now, Veeam try to create a new full backup !

I deleted the last file created and restored the incremental i had deleted.

Also, i tried the restore function and it says "No backup files found on local or external disks, click Browse to select backup files manually". Browsing manually doesn't help :( :

I repaired Veeam installation with the installer : same issue.

I searched on the forum about this VSS issue and find some things to check like :
vssadmin list writers

It seems ok :

I checked my Event viewer and i can view an VSS error :

I opened support case, its number is 03911312.

After all my test and maybe errors it seems that backup is running but it seems to be a new full backup; i can't see my old restoration points :( :

Thanks for your help
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Creating VSS snapshot Error

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bruno,
Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data. VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042308]
Please keep working with support team, such errors usually reflect that Microsoft VSS writer is misbehaving (and since we reply on this functionality during backup - backup job fails).
Then i checked backup files with my file explorer and deleted the last incremental
That's not required since the error you get is not related to existing restore points.
i tried the restore function and it says "No backup files found on local or external disks, click Browse to select backup files manually". Browsing manually doesn't help
Open Control Panel > Select the job name in the main menu and click the desired type of restore. That should open the wizard with all the restore points created by this backup job. Whenever you start a wizard via Start menu you must specify the location of the backup files manually. Thanks!
nonobio
Influencer

Post by nonobio »

Hello,
Please keep working with support team, such errors usually reflect that Microsoft VSS writer is misbehaving (and since we reply on this functionality during backup - backup job fails).
This is the reply i received :
Dear Bruno Bouget, [[Empty Company]],
This is Veeam Support with a system generated courtesy notification. Unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.

That's not required since the error you get is not related to existing restore points.
Ok but for this time it is too late i think. I have deleted my last incremental : it didn't helped so i restored it but whatever i do now : my backup chain (with my several month history) can't be resume or restored :(
i tried the restore function and it says "No backup files found on local or external disks, click Browse to select backup files manually". Browsing manually doesn't help
Open Control Panel > Select the job name in the main menu and click the desired type of restore. That should open the wizard with all the restore points created by this backup job. Whenever you start a wizard via Start menu you must specify the location of the backup files manually. Thanks!
Trying to restore from backup job or start menu : same result : "No backup files found" (see my third screenshot).

If i don't found solution i will lost my history and start a new chain but it is the second time i do that with 2 differents backups on two PC.

Veeam Agent for Windows is great.. when all is working fine, but when it goes wrong, it seems hard to found another solution than start a new chain :(
nonobio
Influencer

Post by nonobio »

Hello,

With the help from this post : veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/is-it-possi ... ml#p346090 i managed to be able to browse my backups data by opening the vbk file in Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition. I was able to choose from all my 24 restore points.

When i try to open the same vbk file from my windows explorer choosing "Veeam Agent for Windows" : it says "no valid restore points".

It's a good news but if i understand : my vbk and vim files are ok but my vbm file is corrupted.

So my question is : how to repair this vbm file to be able to continue backup with Veeam Agent for Windows ? Hoping it is possible...

Maybe i should backup this vbm file regularly ?

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Bruno,
This is Veeam Support with a system generated courtesy notification. Unfortunately, due to high Support Team load we were unable to process your request and it has been archived automatically.
Terribly sorry for the delay. I've already asked support team to re-open your case and start the investigation.
So my question is : how to repair this vbm file to be able to continue backup with Veeam Agent for Windows ? Hoping it is possible...
As far as I remember you can perform backup import to Veeam B&R Community edition and that should make all the restore points available.
I have deleted my last incremental : it didn't helped so i restored it but whatever i do now : my backup chain (with my several month history) can't be resume or restored
We've checked this behavior in our lab. The deletion of the latest incremental restore point does not affect the remaining backup chain, restore should work. Please wait for the solution from our support team.
nonobio
Influencer

Post by nonobio »

Hello,
As far as I remember you can perform backup import to Veeam B&R Community edition and that should make all the restore points available.
As i said, i already managed to acces to my restore points. What i would like now is to be able to continue my backup chain with "Agent for Windows".

johnwatson
Influencer
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: John Watson

Post by johnwatson » 1 person likes this post

Hello Veeam Form,

I have had a similar issue. The error that I was getting was:

Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.
Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.
VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Prepare for a backup operation.]. Code: [0x80042302].

Environment:
Veeam Backup and Replication v11a
Workstation backup: Windows 10 (32-bit)

FIX:
Since this is non-server os, the cmd "VSSADMIN CREATE" option is not available. So, to get around it run the following from Administrator command prompt:

- powershell.exe -Command (gwmi -list win32_shadowcopy).Create('C:\','ClientAccessible')

- wmic shadowcopy call create Volume='C:\'

- vssadmin resize shadowstorage /for=C: /on=C: /maxsize=UNBOUNDED

Note: Change C:\ if you need to create a shadowcopy storage for a different drive