Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Blues2000
Lurker
Liked: never

Backing up Azure VM's within Azure

Post by Blues2000 »

I've got about a dozen VM's running in Azure that we are currently backing up with Veeam B&R Enterprise Plus. I have them configured to back up with a windows agent, since using the Hyper-V option does not work, although technically they ARE running in Hyper-V, since that is the entire Azure environment...

My issue is with one Server that we have backing up in 15 minute intervals. It's taking up the entire 2TB storage disk within a day, and it seems that we cannot set forward incrementals because it's not backing up as a VM - it's using the agent and is treated as a physical machine.

Is my backup strategy within Azure incorrect? could you provide any advice?

What we really need is a full backup once a week (sunday) and 15 minute incrementals of changed blocks only to sunday, then we compress them into a synthetic full and continue on.

Without treating this server as a VM, I'm not seeing the incremental option!

Thank you in advance.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Backing up Azure VM's within Azure

Post by jmmarton »

If you are using the Veeam Agent for Windows, you should be able to take incremental backups throughout the day.

Joe
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Blues2000,

Joe is correct. But please be aware that we are working on a native solution to protect Azure VMs. So keep an eye on our announcements for this new functionality
Blues2000
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Blues2000 »

I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly awaiting this option! Thank you for the input.