Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
zadrian
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Automated Installation (failed at config import)

Post by zadrian »

Hi ...I have tried to export a backup config from a notebook and then import to another PC...steps taken from https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=21

From the config file....<ServerCredentials UserName="Q0tUQU5HXHZlcml0YXM=" Password="Enter Password Here" />
I have changed the "Enter Password Here" to "1234678" .........<ServerCredentials UserName="Q0tUQU5HXHZlcml0YXM=" Password="12345678" />
12345678 is the user's password

The error I got from running step 7b is
Failed to perform the operation
Invalid job configuration.
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Unable to establish authenticated client-server connection.
Either the target name is incorrect or the server has rejected the client credentials.
The logon attempt failed

Do I need to rin step 7a then 7b or can I just run step 7b (note I do not ave a license file) ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Automated Installation (failed at config import)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello zadrian.
zadrian wrote:(note I do not ave a license file) ?
Import command wont work unless license is installed.
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

So is there a way to deploy Veeam agent for Windows "Free" ...including the config ?

I do not need a license to use the Veeam server repository and the Veeam server for monitoring "only" purposes ?

Coz if I have workstation license, I would not need the command line but can use Veeam server to install the agent, manage backups etc right ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Veeam Agent Free can be silently installed but configuration should be perfromed manually. Indeed, when you have a vaild license you can either use command line configuration API or Veeam B&R server to deploy and manage backup agents. Cheers!
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Dima P. wrote:Veeam Agent Free can be silently installed but configuration should be perfromed manually. Indeed, when you have a vaild license you can either use command line configuration API or Veeam B&R server to deploy and manage backup agents. Cheers!
What is the use if can use PDQ to silently deploy "free" version but cannot configure ?
Anyway the silent deployment does not work or probably does not work on Win10 with April update. After deployment, Veeam "free" does on appear on taskbar, even after reboot
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

Any other means of remote config of VAW free ?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

For Free version can automate agent deployment with silent installation and let users configure it manually right after installation. There is no way to automate configuration of Free agent but it's possible in paid editions.
Valle1975
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Valerio

[MERGED] Silent Installation and batch for Job creation and Execution?

Post by Valle1975 »

Good afternoon ,
I want to use new Veeam Agent For Windows for create a BARE METAL backup iso of all my Windows Client, that are in Workgroup (no AD), possibly using a batch/script file for Installation, Backup job creation (obviously always the same configuration and destination), and for Execute this created jobs.
I have the same administrator account in all clients, for confirm the installation parameters in batch.
Is it possible??
thank a a lot to everyone.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's possible with a paid edition of VAW. If you're using FREE edition then you can only automate the deployment process while job configuration will have to be manual.
Valle1975
Enthusiast

Post by Valle1975 »

Thanks a lot!!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Here is the updated UG page for the latest VAW version. Hope this helps!
Valle1975
Enthusiast

Post by Valle1975 » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Vitaliy S.
Just an additional info: Using VAW Free , can I use a Veeam B&R Community Edition for centrilize my PC Client Backups??
I prefer to leave my Veeam B&R 9.5 only for Backup and Replication for VMware Infrastructure.
Thanks
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

If you are using VAW "Free", you cannot centralize management but only used as monitoring (see failures, when last run etc) and only when job have been completed (when jobs start it will be shown as 0% on server until job have been completed, then it will jump to 100% on server).

The idea of using VBR on VAW is mainly to monitor and also to use the backup repository. The bad thing about VBR is that you cannot move jobs into folders so you will get 100s of jobs (PCs, Lappy & servers) if they using VAW. If not due to backup repository...then you can use another VBR (BTW, I think the license is based on per host proc, at least for my case, so literally unlimited VBR servers but only pay for OS licenses).
Valle1975
Enthusiast

Post by Valle1975 » 1 person likes this post

Thank Zadrian, but writing me about VBR, are you thing Community Edition or Licensed version??
zadrian
Expert

Post by zadrian »

What do you mean by "are you thing Community Edition" ?

If you mean comparison of VBR....they literally works the same way....just limitations on number of hosts and/or VMs.
But VAW "free" is meant for one machine backup....you cannot control VAW "free" using VBR unless it is a paid version which is called VAW "workstations".

Since you already have VBR...why not just link one PC or lappy with VAW "free" to the VBR server and see for yourself (link the destination to a Veeam Backup repository) ?
Valle1975
Enthusiast

Post by Valle1975 »

ok ,Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, zadrian is correct. If you have Veeam B&R Community Edition, then just deploy VAW using the backup console to have a centralized management feature.