Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Give Copy Job priority over interval expiration

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

Is there a setting to tell VBR to complete a backup copy job and halt the copy interval from expiring? Essentially give priority to the running backup copy job.

We are running into an issue where our backup copy job never completes because the copy interval expires. This doesn't happen all the time, however when it does it is more important for the existing backup copy job to complete rather than expiring the copy interval and failing the backup copy job in progress.

We have the backup copy job set to copy ever 1 day @ 8pm. This is normally fine however this is over the WAN so if we have a large amount of data 1 day a month, we will run into this situation.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Give Copy Job priority over interval expiration

Post by wishr »

Hi GreenAlpha55,

Could you please let us know why increasing the copy job interval is not suitable for you?

Thanks
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

@wishr I usually end up editing the job and increasing the copy interval, then once it completes I will edit the job again and decrease the copy interval to 1 day. I simply don't want to keep editing a job on a regular basis and am looking for a way to avoid this.

I'm not sure I see the use case where users would want the copy job to fail (copy interval expires), only to start a new job that is going to fail again since there is now even more data that is being pushed. This will be an endless cycle unless admin interaction is taken.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi, I meant you may increase the copy interval forever, not temporary as you explained and use backup copy window to prevent the bandwidth utilization during working hours.
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

@wishr I do not want to increase the copy interval forever as I need it to copy every day to process new daily backups. I would not want to leave it increased forever because I would be days behind in backups at our offsite location.

For example:
Copy interval of 5 days, will copy the backups once every 5 days. I DONT WANT THIS
Copy interval of 1 day, will copy the backups once every 1 day. I WANT THIS, but if the backup copy job is still running from the previous day it needs to be given priority over a new copy interval. (with the current setup once a new internal arrives it will fail the previous backup copy job if it's still running. If you don't notice this and adjust the interval you could end up being weeks or months behind in backup copies).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

When this happens, what is the typical difference in the amount of data the job is to transfer on this day compared to other days? I mean, if it is, say, two times more data than the job usually copies, then it will finally catch up in a couple of days, which might not be a big issue.
GreenAlpha55
Enthusiast

Post by GreenAlpha55 »

Hi foggy,

You are correct. The job will eventually catch up, however, this is usually 4-5 days later :( which means 4-5 days of missing backup copies :(

It would be preferable to have a backup copy job finish, rather than start a new copy interval.