Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
piuttostoorbo
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: PiuttostoOrbo

Best Repository Configuration

Post by piuttostoorbo »

Hello everybody
I recently replaced my vmware whitebox with a real server, but I was very disappointed with the performance degradation of my backup.
My VM was composed of a disk on ssd storage of 100 Gb for the operating system, and of 4 virtual 3TB disks (managed by windows in raid 5 storage pool) on 4 sata disks directly connected to the motherboard.
Veeam Backup & Replication is installed on another vm of the same esxi on SSD storage and the backup repository was on a linux server connected as direct attach storage on a Raid 5 datastore (8x2TB, p410 controller), and the incremental time was about 9 minutes (3-4Gb/day) .

Now I have a Dell T420 with 5 sata 4 TB disks in raid 5 (PERC H710 controller) and a single 10 TB virtual disk and the same single ssd with O.S. disk, on the repository instead of linux I installed windows server 2019 to use wan accelerator and proxy in addition to direct attach storage that gave me linux, but now the time has increased to 5 hours for the same 3-4 Gb/day!

The compression level is set to optimal and storage optimization is lan target, and as a proxy I left the automatic choice.

I tried both NTFS and ReFS as filesystems on repository but I didn't notice any changes.
I thought about creating an NFS on the repository and linking it to the vm veeam, is that a good idea? Best choice is ReFS or NTFS?

Or has the backup become extremely slow because it reads from a real Raid5 storage and no longer from 4 single disks inside which there was a raid 5 software?

The bottleneck varies from time to time, it often tells me to be the targer, other times the source and sometimes network (unfortunately I only have 1Gbps ports on both servers)

I read most of the documentation on the site, but it is still not clear what is best to do or seeds I have to resign
Thank you very much and good evening
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6717 times

Re: Best Repository Configuration

Post by Gostev »

Veeam recommends ReFS, trust me you will notice a huge difference in the long run.
At this time, it is best to use Windows Server 2016 for the ReFS repository server.
Songykhw
Service Provider
Liked: never

Post by Songykhw »

Are you format ReFS block size as 64kb?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Yes, the recommended block size is 64kb.
Please review the existing topic about best practices for the REfS repository.

Thanks!
bmoppett
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ben Moppett

Post by bmoppett »

Check your H710 controller has a healthy battery and its configured for Write Back mode so it can use the cache.