Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Al

Veeam B&R Installation location

Post by BuffaloBucks »

I am installing Veeam Backup and Replication for the first time as a simple deployment. I have the following drives: C: 243 GB with 186 free for OS and Veeam B&R install, F: 60 GB for SQL DB, L: 30 GB for SQL Logs, T: 10 GB for SQL Temp DB, and G: 52 TB for the Backup Repository(locally attached).

When going through the installation screens, it defaults to the C: for the installation folder which is good but then it selects the G: (Backup Repository - locally attached) for the vPower cache folder and for the Guest catalog folder. Can these 2 things be installed on the backup repository or do they need to be installed on the C:? How much space will they consume with the processes they perform?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Veeam B&R Installation location

Post by ejenner » 2 people like this post

Those folders are generally best located in the repository folder. They're used during restoration (vPower) and for the catalogue of individual files you can browse through the Enterprise Manager web console (guest file indexing). I found I ran out of space for my guest catalogue folder (120GB ish) before realizing it isn't required for individual file cataloguing UNLESS you're expecting to see the individual files listed in Enterprise Manager. I do all my restorations through the regular Backup and Replication console as I found even with the guest indexing enabled that the search function wasn't finding files which I knew existed. So I turned off Guest File Indexing on all my jobs. If you're not using Enterprise Manager Console then you can do the same and your guest catalogue folder won't fill up like mine did.
BuffaloBucks
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Al

Re: Veeam B&R Installation location

Post by BuffaloBucks »

Got it. Thanks!