Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gpomanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg Pomanti

Pure Storage Active-Active Setup

Post by gpomanti »

We recently purchased 2 Pure all flash arrays and we will be running an active-active cluster for our production VMware environment. I know that the Pure integration was just released a few weeks ago, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Pure arrays yet. Are there any sort of best practices/gotchas to look out for with the integration? How well does the Direct SAN access/backup from storage snapshots work?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Pure Storage Active-Active Setup

Post by Gostev »

We had over 1000 downloads of Pure Storage plug-in in just the first couple of weeks since its general availability. I have not heard about any support issues so far, but will double check.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

Confirmed the only issue in support outside T1 so far is Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshots not "seeing" storage snapshots which are not created by Veeam jobs (those created by the array itself using native snapshot scheduler). This is currently by design - Pure folks decided to hide these snapshots from our API, but they are reconsidering this for the next plug-in update. Thanks!
gpomanti
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Greg Pomanti

Post by gpomanti »

Great thanks! We'll begin testing the Pure arrays this weekend, hopefully no issues!
cfizz34
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Chad

Post by cfizz34 »

Has anyone been able to perform an instant recovery off a pure snapshot and migrate it successfully into production (actually a alternate location) where it actually completes a storage vmotion off the snapshot? We are using vDS for the NIC (source and destination) and since I don't have any options in veeam to change this when completing the restore it fails.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

For the "Snapshot not seen" issue at the beginning of this thread: There is a new version of the plug-in out since a while that address this. See our regular product download page.

I did the Instant VM recovery multiple times without issues and we have a huge amount of customers using the plug-in. Overall I think the vDS NIC problem is unrelated to the Pure Storage Plug-in.

From your explanation I have some question. How do you start the storage vmotion? Veeam or within vcenter.
Then the question is a storage vmotion do not alter at all the VM network configuration. Why is it an issue.
Can you please explain a bit further and what error you see?