Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EOB455
Lurker
Liked: never

Best way to start offsite external disk rotation?

Post by EOB455 »

I have a monthly archive job that backups up critical VMs at months end, and keeps 12 restore points (so I have a full year). It points to my backup server's local disk though. I want to start doing this to USB disks that will be rotated offsite. I created a new repository with rotating disks but I'm undecided on the best way to migrate to that repository.

Do I add the rotating repository as a secondary destination for the existing job?
Do i create a Backup Copy job?
Do I change the existing job's repository to the new rotating one? (I wouldn't mind getting the monthly archive off my local disk to free up some space but not sure what happens to the local backup if I just change the primary destination).

Veeam seems to give me a lot of options but I'm wondering which is considered best practice. Thanks for the help, sorry if this is a tired subject, I did try searching before posting.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2891 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Best way to start offsite external disk rotation?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As you only have a backup job: backup copy job and "secondary destination" are no option (and you mention that you want to migrate - not have an additional copy).

So you can just change the repository (your third option). The UI will tell you something about "missing backup files". So you need to copy the files to the new repository (USB disk) first. Then you can change the repository in the backup job.

Best regards,
Hannes
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Best way to start offsite external disk rotation?

Post by foggy »

If this is an additional archive job and you have other regular (more frequent) backup job for the same VMs, then you can switch this one to backup copy, to not touch your production VMs twice.