Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jepper
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Epperson

Need advice for backing up a VM for onsite with a low RTO

Post by jepper »

I am a new Veeam Pro Partner with a lot to learn so please bare with me. I need advice if what I would like to do with one of my customers is feasible. This customer has a Windows 2012 Server R2 which is hosting an Exchange Server VM. The database size is over 400GB. This customer recently experienced a 2 day Exchange outage due to the VM crashing (long story). We were able to create a new VM and install Exchange and import the database that had been backed up the old way using traditional technology. I would like to put a Veeam Backup & Replicaton server box on the customer's site that will automatically discover the the Exchange Server VM and keep a live up to date VM copy. This copy will be on standby for the purpose of fast deployment if we were to experience another disaster. Can this be done? This may be a common question but not sure where to look. Thank you for any advice you have to offer.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Need advice for backing up a VM for onsite with a low RTO

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Joel.
We can keep an offline copy of said VM with updates synced on specified times(Recovery Point Objective) - its called VM Replication. In case of disaster with original Exchange server VM, you can launch Failover process in Veeam to switch to second copy almost to instant(will take a few seconds to initiate VM launch+server boot time).
You can check that process here.
/Cheers!
jepper
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joel Epperson

Re: Need advice for backing up a VM for onsite with a low RTO

Post by jepper »

That's awesome. I will check out the process link. Thanks for the rapid response. :)