Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

WAN Tweaking

Post by J1mbo »

Hello, I have the following question on architecture and functionality that I can't see any direct comment on in the product documentation.

I'm using B&R to replicate over an MPLS service, and recently had the available capacity increased from 40Mbps to >80Mbps. However the replication speed hasn't changed anywhere near so much, remaining at about 4MB/s.

Measuring with iPerf a 64KB TCP window is needed to get the increased capacity (at 32KB it's about 40Mbps).

Hence wondering whether this could be related and if there are any configuration either in Veeam or the ESX hosts - I notice there is a 'Packet Size' option against each host (currently default at 64KB)? Job is running in Network mode between dedicated management LANs, Veeam B&R is at the destination site and running on Win2k8, job settings are low compression and local target.

Many thanks indeed!
J1mbo
Veteran

Re: WAN Tweaking

Post by J1mbo »

I've not changed the packet size option yet, but running two jobs concurrently did raise the overall WAN utilisation.
st0623
Technology Partner
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Thompson

Post by st0623 »

How much of an increase did you see when you ran the two jobs concurrently?
Regards,
Steve Thompson
HyperIP team at NetEx Software
steve.thompson@netex.com
J1mbo
Veteran

Post by J1mbo »

With one job, the veeam replication VM network utilisation runs steady at 15MB/s, and with two jobs that it was more lumpy but between 19 and 21MB/s. I'm not sure whether there is a roughly 1:1 relationship between data inbound (from the remote site) and outbound (to the storage), I guess Veeam needs to do some reads too.