Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
FLS_Nick
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Description of Veeam Jobs

Post by FLS_Nick »

Hi,

We use PowerShell to extract data from our Veeam B&R Server and construct an email with all backup information from all sources. In VM backups there is a "Description" field that usually defaults to "Created by <veeam admin> on DD/MM/YY".

We change this to describe the server being protected by the job and this "Description" is extracted and used to construct the PowerShell query to tell non admins who receive the email what the back job is ie a job called BCK_DHCP_Server has the description "This is our DHCP Server that offers IP Addresses for VLAN 106 (Citrix)".

Thus in the email you get to see the description of the job which is extracted from the Veeam B&R server.

We also use Veeam Agents for Windows and Linux and I note they use a different description when comparing the information in the B&R Server to the physical servers backup job.

For instance, we point our Windows Agents at our Veeam B&R Server and the description in the job in the B&R GUI is always "Veeam agent for Windows backup job" but of course this is not a Veeam B&R job as you cannot edit it via the B&R GUI.

You go to the server running the Veeam Agent and edit the job and in the description it has the "Created by <veeam admin> on DD/MM/YY" but nowhere in the job local to the server running the agent does it have a description of "Veeam agent for Windows backup job".

When I use SQL Syntax to edit the description in the "Bjobs" database on the Veeam B&R Server for Agent backup jobs the description gets overwritten every time the job runs back to the default "Veeam agent for Windows backup job".

I want my own descriptions in the jobs that appear in the B&R Server from an Agent backup so when I extract that info it has my description which describes the purpose of the backup job.

Can anyone assist in pointing me to where I can find where the description "Veeam agent for Windows backup job" is stored so I can modify it for my own needs?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Description of Veeam Jobs

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Nick.
We do not sync any machine-specific settings from unmanaged agents into VBR server DB. When Veeam server receives an unmanaged agent backup file it creates(and re-creates on each run) a "stub" job with results\statistics. The only way for you to utilize Description field is to switch to Managed Agents mode with full VBR Job settings.
/Thanks!
FLS_Nick
Influencer

Post by FLS_Nick »

"The only way for you to utilize Description field is to switch to Managed Agents mode with full VBR Job settings."

I'm not aware of this setting...my Veeam Agent is licensed...I will investigate...thanks.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

FLS_Nick
Influencer

Post by FLS_Nick »

Thanks, is there the ability to switch from Unmanaged to Managed without losing my Incremental chain?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Unfortunately, no. Backup jobs created in Standalone(unmanaged) mode could not be continued\mapped by Managed Agent Jobs.
Upon switch, Backup Job will trigger new, fresh backup chain.
FLS_Nick
Influencer

Post by FLS_Nick »

Guess I'll just add some logic in the PowerShell to amend the description prior to constructing the email then!

But useful to now know about Managed Agent backups.

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nick,

Just to make sure we are on the same page - you are not loosing the existing chain while changing agent from unmanaged to managed (and visa versa), instead next job run will start a new backup chain while old backup chain remains on the repository. The full set of limitations and system requirements is here - Veeam Agent Management Guide - Considerations and Limitations. Cheers!