Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

Backup Copy GFS Question

Post by wa15 »

We created a new backup copy job that's pointing to a SOBR with capacity-tier for the purpose of long-term archiving. We need a monthly backup archived for 7 years so I have the backup copy job configured as:

Copy every: 5 days
Restore points to keep: 2
GFS settings: Monthly = 84. Everything else is set to zero

The first full backup copy is created and everything looks good. However, is there a way I can force a second full backup chain to get created so that the first one is sealed and starts getting offloaded to capacity-tier without having to wait 30 days?
If I do an active full backup on the backup copy job and a couple of incrementals, I thought that according to what's noted at the bottom of the page at the link below, a new chain will be created but the old chain was just replaced with the new VBK+incremental after the number of restore points was reached.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Basically I just want to start offloading my first monthly backup now instead of in a month due to project deadlines. How do I do this?

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy GFS Question

Post by Shestakov »

Hello,
What value is specified on the capacity tier Move backup files older than X days field?
Thanks
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Currently 20 days (for testing) but I really would like to offload monthly archives as soon as possible so I can/should change that to the lowest value.

But my understanding is that regardless of what the “move backup files older than X days” value on the SOBR is, only sealed full backups will get offloaded so that value is irrelevant in this case? Since I don’t have a sealed backup to begin with yet.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Wait for Veeam v10. It should be out soon, hopefully.
Veeam v10 will copy the restore points same time as they get created on the performance tier. :-)

It‘s called „Copy mode for Cloud Tier“
Blog is in German, but has a video and a screenshot from the feature

https://www.veeam.com/blog/de/v10-sneak ... -mode.html
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Thanks, I did hear about that. Neat indeed.

Though right now my question is something else. Just wondering if there is a way to create a new full backup on-demand, sealing the previous VBK in GFS retention as sealed so that it’s offloaded. That way I don’t need to wait 30 days. Right now there is a single VBK “labeled R” with a few VIBs for this backup copy.
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 »

Bumping this to hopefully get some feedback on my original question...

Just wondering if there is a way to create a new full backup on-demand, sealing the previous VBK in GFS retention as sealed so that it’s offloaded. That way I don’t need to wait 30 days. Right now there is a single VBK “labeled R” with a few VIBs for this backup copy.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Sealed backups are sent to capacity tier in accordance with the mentioned setting.
So it's expected that your GFS files are moved to the capacity tier in 2*5+20 days.
To speed the process up change "Copy every" and/or "Move backup files older than X days" settings.
Thanks