Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
eriktxstate
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Erik Redding

*slow* FLR Restores

Post by eriktxstate »

I was curious if anyone has had any issues with insanely slow restore speeds through the FLR Appliance. I'm restoring files from a RHEL Linux vm and it's been restoring at a whopping 125KB/s. 10Gb restore started at noon is now at 16% (and it's 4pm.) Seems slow. Any tuning advice???

Veeam 5.0.2.230 (64bit)
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: *slow* FLR Restores

Post by Sethbartlett »

You could try setting up the FTP option and see if that is any faster. The traffic is going to go over the network as we boot up a Linux VM to copy the files from to the Veeam box.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
eriktxstate
Influencer

Post by eriktxstate »

Thanks for the heads up Seth.

I looked all through the guide and hunted around here - didn't find any info on what the root password would be. I tried logging in via root on the console in vSphere with no password and that didn't work. Any tips?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

You are looking too deep... there is a checkbox to enable FTP server on FLR appliance right in the Multi-OS FLR wizard ;)
Although I think the issue here might be with backup repository read speed as well (dedupe storage by any chance)?
eriktxstate
Influencer

Post by eriktxstate »

gotcha. Yeah it's dedupe storage. reverse incrementals and I'm restoring from last night's full.

I figured out the ftp option just now. I'm getting 550's when I try to "get" anything. (separate issue) Why does it connect via scp and then deny it?
eriktxstate
Influencer

Post by eriktxstate »

Just a note: it's respecting file perms.

I just pushed a meg/sec with pscp while this restore was happening to the same machine. So can I assume it's a slow read on the data?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Most likely. Many dedupe storage devices are pretty slow on reads, which does cause performance issues to vPower engine.
eriktxstate
Influencer

Post by eriktxstate »

Sorry - I meant we USE dedupe. It's actually local storage. Veeam+veeamdedupe+optimal compression on the volumes. The machine is basically bored. No cpu's pegged, memory footprint has been the same, the network is barely pushing any speed.....
eriktxstate
Influencer

Post by eriktxstate »

It just finished. 5h22m for 10Gb of data on ext3. Peaked at a whopping 500KB/s for the last 20 minutes or so.