Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Gaston
Novice
Liked: never

What do I need to backup workstation to S3 or S3 compatible (I'm new to Veeam)

Post by Gaston »

Hello,

I'm new to Veeam, I googled before asking but I did not find or understand. If the answers seems obvious to you, sorry.

What modules/options/pieces of software do I need in order to backup workstations to Amazon S3 or S3 compatible (Wasabi for exemple)?
Note:
- Workstations are not in the same network
- Workstations are not in a domain
- Workstations are owned by soho users

Thanks for your help
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: What do I need to backup workstation to S3 or S3 compatible (I'm new to Veeam)

Post by Shestakov » 1 person likes this post

Hello Gaston and welcome to the community!
With current version of Veeam Agent for Windows you cannot backup computer directly to Amazon S3.
Here are the possible options, including Microsoft OneDrive and Veeam Cloud Connect repository.
However if you have VBR you can add Amazon S3 or S3 Compatible Object Storage as a capacity tier of Scale-Out Backup Repository and backup up your computers there.
Thanks
Gaston
Novice
Liked: never

Re: What do I need to backup workstation to S3 or S3 compatible (I'm new to Veeam)

Post by Gaston »

Hello Shestakov,

Thanks for clearing the stuff for me.

I See there is a free version of VBR... could give it a try...

About VBR
- Are my backups stored on the vbr or do they just pass through (just like a kind o proxy) ?
- I see the community edition is limited to 10 workloads... can I translate by "10 concurent backups passing through VBR?"
- Do I need additional packages/modules/licenses to backup to wasabi or S3 like storage?

Thanks a lot!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

- I See there is a free version of VBR... could give it a try...
- Unfortunately Scale-Out Backup Repository (SOBR) feature is not included into community/free edition.

- Are my backups stored on the vbr or do they just pass through (just like a kind o proxy) ?
- You need to create scale-out repository with AWS S3 capacity tier. Backups will go to the capacity tier in accordance with your policy

- I see the community edition is limited to 10 workloads... can I translate by "10 concurent backups passing through VBR?"
- 1 worklod is either 1 VM or 1 computer protected by Veeam Agent

- Do I need additional packages/modules/licenses to backup to wasabi or S3 like storage?
- As described above, yes, you need paid version of VBR