Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dgongora
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Two backup Servers with the same repository

Post by dgongora » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
I have two veeam backup server, I want to use both the same physical repository but different backup job so no conflit.
Can I? Any feedback?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Two backup Servers with the same repository

Post by tsightler »

You can, but in general it is not recommended. Keep in mind the following notes:

1) The two VBR servers will not have any awareness that they are sharing this resource so you should set task limits on each so that resources are not exceeded.

2) If the repository is Windows, and you update one VBR server, you will need to update the other with the identical version/build (for Linux repositories different server versions don't really matter) or backups will likely not run on the second server (component versions on repo must match VBR version).

3) Some advanced functions, like SOBR, may behave in less than ideal ways due to having no awareness of the load from another Veeam server. This can especially impact backup placement on SOBR in cases where two repos are sharing the same disk.

While this setup may not be ideal, if you can live with these limitations, it can work successfully but can be more difficult to troubleshoot in cases where things go wrong.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

I think there's one more important point missed -- make sure both servers use different paths, else they'll see each other's backups.

This was an awful mess for us with one client, and got even worse with another when they did this and added the server to Enterprise Manager.

Learn from my headaches and ulcers: If you're gonna do this, make sure they are distinctly separate paths. It can be the same disk, but the folders must be separate. I had to double check this, but it's even in the user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

e.g. - If you have Repo_A, and you just have some massive disk presented as Drive E:, make two folders: Repository_1 and Repository_2. Point one Veeam server at Repository_1, and the other at Repository_2.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Yep, absolutely correct, I should have mentioned that as well, I guess I somehow assumed that was too obvious to be overlooked, but a very good point!
dgongora
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by dgongora »

Yes thank you alot guys, that I was thinking to do!