Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pob579
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

running job stops when open library

Post by pob579 »

When open library for removing tapes with finished backup, the job in progress (running one) generates an error, cannot continue running job when library opened.
Is it normal?
I think the running job uses the tape in Drive. I understand that the error could be generated in the moment when new tape should be loaded but the library is open.
Please explain if it is normal behavior.
Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: running job stops when open library

Post by Dima P. »

Hello pob579,

Whenever you remove the magazine, library goes offline and, as a result, running jobs will fail. Mind me asking, is it possible to configure Import/Export slots in your tape device? Thanks!
pob579
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Post by pob579 »

> is it possible to configure Import/Export slots in your tape device?

Dima, I am using HP MSL G3 Series 8.80 library. So you can find the answer to your question.

Thanks.
Misha.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Here are the instructions from HP StorageWorks MSL2024, MSL4048, MSL8048, and MSL8096 Tape Libraries User and service guide.

Regarding tape library being opened while some applications are running:
HP StorageWorks s User and service guide wrote:CAUTION: Some RMI operations take the device offline. This inactive mode can interfere with host-based application software, causing data loss. Ensure that the device is idle before attempting to perform any remote operations that take it offline.
Here is the detailed instruction for mail slot configuration:
HP StorageWorks s User and service guide wrote:Configuring the mailslot (Configuration > Configure Mailslot)

The mailslot is a single slot at the front of the left magazine that you can access without removing the whole magazine. Loading a tape through the mailslot is faster than opening the magazine because the device does not need to inventory the rest of the magazine slots when you use the mailslot. Also, the device can continue to function when the mailslot is open. Access to this feature
requires the administrator password.

To enable or disable the mailslot:

1. From the Home screen, press Previous or Next until the screen displays Configuration. Press Enter to select.
2. Press Previous or Next until the screen displays Configure Mailslot. Press Enter to select.
3. Enter the administrator password if prompted.
4. The screen displays either Mailslot Enabled or Mailslot Disabled.
5. Press Previous or Next until the screen displays Disable Mailslot? or Enable Mailslot?. Press

Enter when the correct action is displayed.
Hope that helps. Cheers!
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Post by pkelly_sts » 1 person likes this post

I've come across this "issue" in the past and admit I thought it was Veeam being a bit crappy (a rarity to be honest) however I now understand that it's a library-level thing, not Veeam specific, and having read the comment above I can fully understand why it /should/ work this way.

In essence, if you eject media via the mailslot the library knows what is happening, it's expecting a tape to disappear. However when removing the magazine, ANYTHING could be happening - including populating a currently empty slot (because the tape that /was/ in that slot might be active in a drive) which could cause a job to fail when it cant put the tape back again after use.

FWIW I think there are a few queries along these lines (probably including an old one from myself) lurking in the forums which would be well served with a link back to this post...