Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Deploy computers

Post by fafa24 »

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a chance to use the Veeam Agent Free Edition to deploy computers? I mean to create a master image which we can deploy later to new computers. A colleague thinks that it is possible. However I think a computer with the master image needs to be sysprepped. Well I could imagine to create a master image with Veeam Agent installed. But I cannot imagine how to make the final backup after sysprep has been run. I guess if there is a way to do it, we could be able to restore the master image using the recovery media to other computers.

Has anyone tried that? Personally I find MDT is the bestter solution.

Thanks,
Edy
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Deploy computers

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Edy,

Please keep in mind that Veeam Agent for Windows was designed as a backup solution on a first place. If you still want to deploy multiple computers from a single backup – i'd recommend to take a look at this article: Using Sysprep and Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows.
OBXBoost
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Kerr

Re: Deploy computers

Post by OBXBoost »

Dima,
I have been trying to follow the sysprep instructions as per: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=30
but I am finding the instructions a little lacking. Currently, I have a laptop which is in Audit mode with all of the customization completed. In the following
excerpt, I'm left wondering exactly what it means. Once you sysprep, doesn't it leave it as rebooting to original setup?
Create a registry key value: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup\SysprepMode (DWORD)=1.
This registry key value is used to regenerate the job ID when Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows starts for the first time on the new computer. If you do not create the registry key value, the backup job may fail as soon as it is started on the new computer.

Run the Sysprep tool in the Generalize mode to remove any system-specific data. If you need to run the Sysprep tool in the Audit mode, do not forget to re-create the registry key afterwards.