Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
backupquestions
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Alabaster McJenkins

File modification date in enterprise manager

Post by backupquestions »

I've watched a youtube video where they demonstrated searching for a file. This was a few year old video of an earlier version of enterprise manager. It is on official veeam youtube channel.

Anyway, when searching for a file it lists the last modification date of the file.

In the latest version of veeam, it seems that the enterprise manager only lists a column called "created" or similar with a timestamp. I've looked even in the 9.5 enterprise manager guide pdf and it looks just as I'm experiencing.

Why are file versions not shown or at least latest modification date? There are a lot of times where we need to just find a file and not sure when it was modified last.

Another question is that it seems like in v10 the nas backup includes nicer file versioning. Will there be any way that this integrated with regular vm file restores so we get versioning features?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: File modification date in enterprise manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
do you maybe have a link to the video and the minute where you saw it? I just compared 9.5U4b and V10 RC1 Enterprise Manager and you are right... 9.5U4 shows "created" and V10 shows "modified".

For V10, the nicer file versioning will be only available for NAS backup.

Best regards,
Hannes
backupquestions
Expert

Hi Hannes, thank you for the reply. I guess you are still working and not out on a yacht somewhere after the purchase. lmao

Ok here is the video link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9R_ODP5gRU Take note at 2 minutes 42 seconds.

It seems like a big regression (from a version 3 years old, but not sure when this changed to be certain) because In my limited testing it seems like it shows the same "created" time across restore points, even on files that have been definitely modified between restore points... I will do some more testing now to make sure. If you can verify that it is only a name change and nothing more that is good and I will open a ticket.
backupquestions
Expert

Ok I just did some more testing with some files I had set up for this, and it is correctly showing me the different timestamps on them, so it seems just a name change. I guess as you said in V10 this is already resolved so no big deal.

One more item I am seeing though that I wonder if you can test to see if a bug or somehow my installation of enterprise manager... If you use the search filter box, and select FOLDER and then BROWSE, an then click on a volume.... Like D drive or whatever. Ok now look in the PATH box and you will see it has now placed a PIPE in there instead of a SLASH. So it has D| instead of D: and this means when you are done browsing and peform your search, nothing at all shows up due to that pipe... So you have to go back and fix it manually. I just cleared browser cache and did it again, so I think it may be a bug.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yep, I could not reproduce anything of that in V10 - so it should be fine.